Pastry Chefs Please Help

Baking By preciosa225 Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 5:15am by AngelFood4

preciosa225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
preciosa225 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:13am
post #1 of 7

I have a recipe for Red Velvet that I really like but it is very very moist and crumbly. I have to make a sculpted cake and was wondering is there something I can add to this recipe to firm it up? Perhaps adding sour cream? If so, please share and if I add sour cream would I have to omit or decrease another ingredient?

TIA

6 replies
lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #2 of 7

it would be best if you posted the recipe. if you add anything you will most likely need to change other things in the recipe.. sour cream would probably require you to change the milk in it (assuming it's milk, most rv recipes I've seen use buttermilk. sour cream has more fat than milk so I really don't think using sour cream would automatically make it more dense.

does it use cake flour? you can try to use AP flour instead. that will affect the crumb a bit..

also, are u putting the cake in the fridge/freezer before attempting to sculpt? most butter cakes firm up in the fridge enough to sculpt

just my 2 cents without seeing the recipe

lilthorner-pastry student icon_smile.gif

preciosa225 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:06am
post #3 of 7

icon_lol.gif

lilthorner Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:11am
post #4 of 7

I am SO not familiar with doctoring up a mix cake.. sorry. maybe someone else will come along who can help

preciosa225 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #5 of 7

Awww, well thanks for trying to help me. I will have to play around with it and see what I can come up with. Do you know of a scratch red velvet recipe that is sturdy enough for carving/stacking?

lilthorner Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:09am
post #6 of 7

http://cakecentral.com/recipes/7377/sarahs-red-velvet-cake-tweaked

but I used the full amount of red color called for in the original recipe.. 2 ounces

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 5:15am
post #7 of 7

My RV is crumbly and fluffy too. I put it in the freezer for an hour to firm it up a bit, carved it, put it back into the freezer again for another hour to set, then just clean it up a bit more before dirty icing it and covering in fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%