Smbc And Meringue Powder

Decorating By doreenre Updated 29 Oct 2009 , 4:59am by mrsmudrash

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #1 of 7

Is it possible to make SMBC using meringue powder instead of egg whites?

I'd like to cut back the time it takes to make SMBC and wondered if this would be a good sub.

All feedback is appreciated.

6 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #2 of 7

Aren't you still going to cook the sugar?

Mike

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 9:04pm
post #3 of 7

Merinque powder is still basically egg whites, I was taught that when ever you need egg whites, merinque powder could be substituted and vice versa. icon_smile.gif

HTH

doreenre Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doreenre Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #4 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

Yes, I was, but SMBC uses so many eggs, and I'm not good about using the leftover yolks. AND i'm not certain how much meringue powder I would need to use to be the equivalent of one egg white.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #5 of 7

You'd have to reconstitute the meringue powder by mixing with water (it should say on the container how much powder = 1 egg white).

I have made IMBC using meringue powder, why not try that instead?

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:46am
post #6 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1394

Mike

Yes, I was, but SMBC uses so many eggs, and I'm not good about using the leftover yolks. AND i'm not certain how much meringue powder I would need to use to be the equivalent of one egg white.

OK I thought it was about trying to save time. That's what I didn't understand. Freeze the yolks for later use. You can freeze them in an ice cube tray, and have lil egg yolk ice cubes. Then bag them, and freeze, no waste.

Mike

mrsmudrash Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmudrash Posted 29 Oct 2009 , 4:59am
post #7 of 7

I tried this TWICE and failed miserably! I talked to a pastry chef on why it wouldn't work and she said that with SMBC you cannot use meringue powder because of the starch in it...it makes a great meringue but once you add the fat, everything breaks down to a soupy mess! The problem happens when you heat it with the sugar and chemically it messes up. Whereas when you use it with the process of IMBC it doesn't cook that starch so you're okay. Trust me, it doesn't work!! But it does work with IMBC.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%