Idea Needed For A Cake That Tells The Family The Sex Of Baby

Decorating By shell62995 Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm by all4cake

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:35pm
post #1 of 9

So I got a call. I need a cake that 2 moms to be that want to tell the family the sex of thier babies by the color of the cake batter. (like the duggars if anyone watches them) Anywho, she was thinking one tier for her and one for her sis in law. And a baby holding a sign w/ their name on the tier that is thiers. Here is my confusion- how would the topper look? I mean if there is a baby on each tier I can figure how to make the top look good. Any ideas? I'm at a loss! Thanks icon_smile.gif

8 replies
catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #2 of 9

the topper could be two moulded babies sleeping on a blanket together, each wearing a pink or blue diaper with the last name on it. Thus if one is a boy and one a girl then one could say "baby Jones"on a blue diapered butt and one "baby Smith" on a pink diapered butt.

Good luck!

cupcakemkr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemkr Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:45pm
post #3 of 9

How about just a bow on top or a question mark and baby stuff around it, blanket, booties, bottle, rattle, etc...

jen9936 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen9936 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 9

I think you could just do a fondant/gumpaste bow with loops of both pink and blue, that way you wouldn't be giving away the suprise til they cut into the cake.
HTH icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 9

What about a baby on the top too, holding a sign that says something like " 2 babies to see, what sex will they be?" or something like that?

Otherwise, I like the question mark idea w/ all the baby stuff

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:58pm
post #6 of 9

I know this changes the design a little, but I think it might work. Why don't you push the top tier back so both of the back edges of the cakes line up, and there is plenty of space on the surface of the bottom cake. Place two babies there facing each other, kind of in the edge between top and bottom tiers, the blanket covering each could cascade down the cake a little. You could make a nice fondant nameplate and place it in the side/middle of each tier to designate which one is which. The very top could be a blue and pink loop bow like jen9936 suggested.

Let us know what you end up doing. This cake sounds like a neat idea. (Not my suggestions, just the cake in general.)

shell62995 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shell62995 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:50pm
post #7 of 9

I was thinking it would be cute to have the babies sitting together too! I thinnk I will just tell the moms that having one baby on each tier would be unbalanced. I love the ideas of the multi color bow and name plates!
Great ideas everyone! Thank you

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:17pm
post #8 of 9

ooo ooo ooo (horshack style)...what if instead of making one tier one color and the other tier the other color...what if you halved(with the batter) the colors...iced all over white or whatever neutral color then decorated the entire cake with baby stuffs...bows, bottles, babies....in every color....at the top place the sign with inscription and possibly an arrow or something to denote which side belongs to which mom-to-be

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:24pm
post #9 of 9

have the babies sitting on top holding the sign...using the name on the diaper to denote which side is which....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%