Where To Get Tylose, And Other Questions

Decorating By luv2cook721 Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 7:26pm by luv2cook721

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:19pm
post #1 of 7

Can you buy tylose at a regular supermarket? If not where can I expect to find it? No specialty shops in my area. I am planning to do a sculpted piece and was recommended to mix tylose into my fondant. Would a mix of fondant and gumpaste work as well? Could I just mix in a little gumpaste powder from a mix in place of the tylose?

6 replies
mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:28pm
post #2 of 7

If you have a Michaels or other craft store you can find the Gumtex that Wilton sells. Otherwise you could order tylose powder online. Global Sugar Art is a good site.

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 7

I don't think supermarkets would carry them. I would suggest you check them online.

A mixture of fondant an gumpaste would work depending on what you will be doing.

Also, you can use gumtex that you can find at Michaels or Jo-Ann.

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:33pm
post #4 of 7

You can get tylose, from GlobalSugarArt.com and many other online cake decorating stores, I know you can mix fondant and gumpaste, 50/50 but I am not sure if you can use gumpaste Powder, in the place of tylose, I know you can use gumtex, from Wilton, it is similar to tylose if not the same tylose is white and does not have a smell, gumtex is yellowish, and have a smell. but I bet you will get a better, or different answer from someone more experienced.

See others post's, showed up even before mine did.

chelleb1974 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelleb1974 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:34pm
post #5 of 7

I usually make my own gumpaste from scratch (Nic Lodge's recipe if anyone is interested). Well, in the middle of making some roses (or a competition no less) I somehow ran out of gumpaste. Went to make more - lo and behold NO MORE TYLOSE!!! Since I didn't have time to wait for it to be delivered, I mixed some gumtex (or Wilton's gumpaste mix, not sure which it was) into my fondant, and got gumpaste. I don't know how much I mixed in - just mixed until it felt right.

HTH,
Chelle

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:44pm
post #6 of 7

I suggest buying CMC from www.chefrubber.com MUCH cheaper than tylose powder from a cake supply store and it is the main active gum used in tylose (tylose simply has dextrose added).

luv2cook721 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luv2cook721 Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 7:26pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks for the input. I need to make this cake in about one week so I am worried that I don't have the time for an internet order. Michaels is not too far away, so I may go that route, or try the 50/50 mix since I have some gumpaste on hand. May do a trial run tonight to see how I like that and run for the gumtex if not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%