Dome On Cupcake

Baking By ljdills Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm by Loucinda

ljdills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ljdills Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:58am
post #1 of 8

How can I get a large "dome" on my cupcakes? I had seen somewhere a tip for this, and of course now that I need it I can not find it. I wanted to make some Halloween cupcakes as well as practice some Christmas ball cupcakes.

7 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:08am
post #2 of 8

I would think over filling the cupcake pan would do this

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:15am
post #3 of 8

Something to do with the temp. You have to preheat the oven to a certain temp (higher). Then when you actually put the cupcakes in you set the oven to 325 or whatever you bake them at. I can't remember what the higher temp is but I am looking.

Works perfectly.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 6:19am
post #4 of 8

I cant find the actual thread your looking for but I just made cupcakes and followed their directions and i got a nice dome on mine.

They said to bake the cupcakes at 180 degrees, nice low slow bake....I wasn't sure it would work but gosh darn diddly it didicon_smile.gif

HTH

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:13pm
post #5 of 8

Preheat your oven to 400 - bake 5 min, turn the heat down to 325 and finish baking. It is the initial high heat that domes them.

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 1:56pm
post #6 of 8

I've also seen some of the Christmas ornament photo comments mention that the Wilton Mini ball pan was used and place on top of the cupcake. I just ordered one, I LOVE the Christmas ornament cupcakes, but now I wish I knew about the oven temp trick first. Oh, well, having 4 sons, I'm sure I'll get some use out of the ball pan anyway.

heddahope Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heddahope Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:19pm
post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Preheat your oven to 400 - bake 5 min, turn the heat down to 325 and finish baking. It is the initial high heat that domes them.

I thought it was 400 but I couldn't remember exactly.

I turned it down as soon as I put them in and they had a nice dome. Do you think baking them for 5 min at that high temp will give them a BIGGER dome?

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 5:29pm
post #8 of 8

I don't think so. IMO, that initial shock of heat is what does the dome, and it would not matter if it were longer. (hope that makes sense) I wouldn't over fill either, that comes back to bite you sometimes (with craters instead of domes!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%