Best Cake Boards And Bases

Decorating By Mommyofseven Updated 28 Oct 2009 , 12:04am by Rylan

Mommyofseven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommyofseven Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 5

I keep reading about foam cake boards and food safe covering. I was wondering if other members would be willing to share their best cake board ideas. Do you prefer disposable ones or do you charge a refundable fee for reusable boards? What is the cheapest yet sturdiest material for boards. Do you always box your cakes?

4 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 5

I like to use disposable so I don't have to worry about getting anything back from the cake order.

I love to use foam core board, it's lightweight and VERY strong. For bigger cakes I double it up (i use 1/2" thick board)

I cover it with anything that has a print I like, wallpaper, wrapping paper, tissue paper, scrapbooking paper, you name it and then cover that with clear contact paper or clear acetate depending on my mood.

I always box the cakes and if it's a tall cake I use shipping brown cardboard boxes and put plastic wrap over the top and cut the front panel and retape it, so that the customer can remove the tape and fold the front of the box down and just easily slide the cake out of the box (no reaching down from above and trying to pull it out without ruining it)

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 10:03pm
post #3 of 5

How about you use MDF? They are really cheap.

conchita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
conchita Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:46pm
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rylan

How about you use MDF? They are really cheap.

Hello Rylan i know I might sound dum but was is MDF

Rylan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rylan Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:04am
post #5 of 5

Hi Conchita, MDF is medium-density fiberboard. I'm not sure how else I can explain it but it is like plywood but it looks more corky. It is also really really cheap. You can find it at any home improvement stores.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%