How Do I Make This Into A Cake??!

Decorating By janebrophy Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm by JGMB

janebrophy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janebrophy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 15

I am really stumped. I'm making a cake for a friend who is into native american healing/culture. I want to centre the cake around this theme, but am having a hard time...
I was thinking of using this medicine wheel as the cake, then adding in some feathers and a colourflow eagle on the top...but I can't figure out how I would do 4 different colours on the cake, this would be the top view, and would continue down the sides...I want to use buttercream, and my recipe is not a crusting BC...any ideas??
LL

14 replies
G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 15

If you are going to keep the black outline then I would just divide the cake into the four pie shapes using a small round tip and a piping bag,

Once you have the sections divided then just fill in the colors you want .

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #3 of 15

You can apply the different colors using a star tip in a huge zigzag then smooth it or leave, which ever you think looks better.

Smooth using an off-set spatula.

janebrophy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm
post #4 of 15

Thanks! I'm just worried about keeping the lines crisp between each section. Maybe if I do one at a time, and refrigerate in between, the lines will stay neat....

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Thanks! I'm just worried about keeping the lines crisp between each section. Maybe if I do one at a time, and refrigerate in between, the lines will stay neat....

Then I would cut out panels of fondant or GP. Will be much sharper and crisper than BC could ever hope to look.

janebrophy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:36pm
post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Quote:
Originally Posted by janebrophy

Then I would cut out panels of fondant or GP. Will be much sharper and crisper than BC could ever hope to look.

I know! These people HATE fondant though...it would be the cleanest possible look...I guess I'll just have to make do! icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 15

Yeah, I understand that. But this would be one of things that I would tell them, it's fondant or nothing. 5 minutes to trace and cut a perfect fondant/GP panel (maybe not 5 minutes)versus possibly a couple of hours of smoothing, chilling, piping very carefully......eh, no thanks.

__Jamie__ Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:40pm
post #8 of 15

Besides, you can peel a panel off the top and toss it before cutting.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:50pm
post #9 of 15

do you have an airbrush?? You could use pie shaped triangular pieces and remove one at a time and spray with an airbrush. That's what I would do, I hate mixing all those colors of icing! lol

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 15

Or... you could make the panels out of colored modeling chocolate and it would taste better.

janebrophy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:55pm
post #11 of 15

See?? This is why I post on here! LOL! Yes, I do have an airbrush, and how weird am I that I didn't even think of it! Modelling chocolate sounds yummy too!!!

janebrophy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 5:59pm
post #12 of 15

If I airbrush it, I would, of course, use pie shapes to get the colour sectioned off....but here's my next question. If i put a piece of pie shaped paper over the airbrushed colour, will the colour not come off onto the paper?

chefaddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefaddie Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 15

Osiyo!
Don't know if you make your cake yet, but I would diffinatly use modeling chocolate for the four directions. MC is also great for figures too. You could make the feathers out of fondant so you can paint them

good luck thumbs_up.gif

janebrophy Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:38pm
post #14 of 15

Do y'all use modelling chocolate that you make yourself, or do you buy it?? I tried a recipe from here, but found that for figures, it was sort of a pain...could I roll it out like fondant?

JGMB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JGMB Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 6:55pm
post #15 of 15

I've only ever used modeling chocolate 2 times, but I loved it!! It tastes good and, yes, it rolls like fondant. I used it for the argyle pattern on my golf cake and for the lacy cutouts on my heart-shaped cake. I made it with Wilton candy melts, and it was very easy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%