White Chocolate Ganache Under Fondant

Baking By cakesrpretty Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm by grandmom

cakesrpretty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrpretty Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

I would like to try white chocolate ganache under fondant for the first time. What is the best recipe and how much do I need to make to cover an 8" and 12" round?

Thanks

4 replies
vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:38pm
post #2 of 5

i think that for white chocolate ganache the ratio is 3;1. Three parts chocolate to 1 part heavy cream. i have no idea how much to use for those sizes, but keep in mind that you only need to spreading very thinly and also the leftovers will keep in the fridge. Good luckl!

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:52pm
post #3 of 5

You can get by with 60 oz of white chocolate to cover 12" + 8", but I prefer 72. If you are also filling with ganache, you'll need more. It's much better to have a little left over than to not have enough to do the job properly.

Lauren251 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lauren251 Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 1:50pm
post #4 of 5

I am well curious to a recipe for this. I have been wanting to try it, but am to chicken that it will turn into disaster. Maybe one day...

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:56pm
post #5 of 5

Like all things, each will do it differently. Vagostino posted that she spreads thinly. I like to have a good layer of ganache and a thinner layer of fondant over it. Some may like it reversed.

I used 72 oz. of white chocolate for the Harley cake in my photos, which was 12" + 8", and I did not fill with it. I guess the ganache layer was somewhere between 1/8" and 1/4".

I started with 48 oz. for the Princess Cake, same size, ran out and had to make more. I made another 12 oz. batch and barely scraped by.

I do use the ganache to straighten up the sides and level off the top if there is any uneveness, so maybe that's why I use a lot.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%