Cake Boss Vs Cake Buddy

Business By sweethaven09 Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 12:52am by kelleym

sweethaven09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweethaven09 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:59am
post #1 of 22

I'm very new to the cake business, and I'm looking into software to help me price cakes and keep track of my business. I've seen a lot of reviews on the forums about cake boss. However, has anyone tried cake buddy? Is it worth spending the extra $26 more than cake buddy? What's your thoughts? Thanks!

21 replies
all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:20am
post #2 of 22

I've never heard of cake buddy. Do you have a link to it?

sweethaven09 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:27am
post #3 of 22

I apologize its Bakery Buddy

http://www.bakerybuddy.com/demo.php

all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:31am
post #4 of 22

aaaaaaaaaargh...gotta sign up to view the demo???? What's up with that?????

Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:37am
post #5 of 22

Doesn't give you any pricing information and upgrades are "available for a fee" again with no further info.

Sounds a bit off to me, cakeboss has been upfront with all the info needed to make a decision from the beginning, but perhaps i have missed the info, at least i can't find it. I am hesitant to give out all the informtion they request without knowing who I am giving it to, just to be able to view the demo

all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:37am
post #6 of 22

hmmmmmm....this appears to be an online type of program. I do like the idea of the cake boss better in that respect...my stuff is stored on my puter and I don't actually have to have internet except for possible updates and things like that...not for information storage...that alone is worth the extra cost of Cake Boss...JMHO

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 9:47am
post #7 of 22

The only thing I don't like about Cake Boss is that I can't access my information from different computers (or don't know how to, if it's possible), even though my computers are networked. BakeryBuddy would resolve that, apparently, but they just don't give ANY information on that website!!

I'm sticking with Cake Boss.

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:04pm
post #8 of 22

I've never heard of bakerybuddy. But I have cake boss and I like it.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 22

I LOVE cake boss......and wouldn't have much use for bakery buddy since it's only online. I have online access but I love being able to take my laptop to consultations with me and have all my info (it even has serving charts built right into it) and all of my customer's info etc. even if there is no wireless access nearby.

Also, I didn't see anything on cake buddy that allows you to view your profit for a certain time frame with a click of the button. Cake Boss offers free upgrades, and they're constantly adding new stuff to the program and I have NEVER emailed tech support and waited more than an hour for an answer FROM the owner/designer of the program!! That's Service!

jdconcc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jdconcc Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:33pm
post #10 of 22

I've just had cake boss a few days and so far it's great. I'm just busy putting all my recipes on at the moment, but it's really user friendly, I can't wait to have time to explore all the functions properly. I didn't realise it had a serving chart I'll have to find that. Does anyone know when they bringing the new upgrade out to store accounts?

MnSnow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MnSnow Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:35pm
post #11 of 22

HOLY CR@P!!! It's $125.00!!!!

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:38pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnSnow

HOLY CR@P!!! It's $125.00!!!!

Per year.

all4cake Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #13 of 22

Thank goodness someone else signed up...lol! I wasn't going to! That's a lot of money...and ridiculous!

grandmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:45pm
post #14 of 22

$125?? Per freakin' year??? For that much money, the dang thang better jump off the screen and clean the kitchen when I'm done...

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:00pm
post #15 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by grandmom

The only thing I don't like about is that I can't access my information from different computers (or don't know how to, if it's possible), even though my computers are networked. BakeryBuddy would resolve that, apparently, but they just don't give ANY information on that website!!

I'm sticking with .

I'm not sure how big of a file Cake Boss is, but you may want to back it up on a thumb, then you can use it anywhere. I had a crash that cost me a lot of $, time, and tears 2 years ago and I learned from then on to back up things through email and on my thumbs! thumbs_up.gif

grandmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm
post #16 of 22

Would that work? I ask because I don't recall Cake Boss asking where I want to save a file to, or load from...? I think the file is buried deep somewhere the common folks wouldn't venture...?

Cake Boss KelleyM, jump in here please!

kelleym Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #17 of 22

Instructions for making a backup of your data file are in the CakeBoss 'Help' file under 'Create a Backup'. There you will find the location of your file. We highly recommend copying this file, which contains ONLY your data, to offsite storage like a flash drive or CD, once a week or so. Believe me, you will never regret it.

The actual program CakeBoss can be reinstalled from our servers any time, so don't worry about backing up the program itself - only your precious little data file. icon_smile.gif

grandmom Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:34pm
post #18 of 22

Thanks, KelleyM

I totally understand and agree with regular backups! We all have to learn that one the hard way.

I was asking more along the line of using that backup file to use Cake Boss on multiple computers, as suggested by another poster. I guess that can be done, but it seems somewhat cumbersome, and then you'd have to remember to constantly keep the latest file copied to each computer.

blessedist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessedist Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #19 of 22

yeah, i meant the actual data. just do it once a week and you won't be sorry! my mistake cost me almost 10k icon_cry.gif

sweethaven09 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #20 of 22

Thanks everyone for the info! Does anyone use Cake boss with a mac? Does it work?

Ladiesofthehouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladiesofthehouse Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:13am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethaven09

Thanks everyone for the info! Does anyone use with a mac? Does it work?

If it did I would own it!

kelleym Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #22 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweethaven09

Thanks everyone for the info! Does anyone use with a mac? Does it work?

CakeBoss System Requirements:
http://tinyurl.com/yjkdo5z

CakeBoss FAQ:
http://tinyurl.com/ykuh5z9

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%