Transporting Your Cakes In The Cake Safe?

Decorating By psurrette Updated 25 May 2010 , 10:52pm by Loucinda

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #31 of 46

Ok..the rod is anchored into the bottom, as a center dowel is not. If you watch the videos, it really does answer a lot of these questions.

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:30pm
post #32 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwolves

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion56602

I don't understand what keeps the actual cake from sliding off individual boards, splitting the cake & sliding right through the rod.

(I think I dropped a brick when I saw the prices)

I think the only thing stopping the cake from sliding off would be your cake support and boards.. I guess if you made sure the cake was "glued" to your boards with buttercream then they should not slide off..

which is why i have yet to get the sps sysytem. as long as your cakes are doweled well and correctly the only thing really keeping your cakes stacked is the "glue" holding them to their boards.

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:44pm
post #33 of 46

Ok. Picture this. Imagine you are putting your dowel through the cake as normal. Now, imagine the cake isn't there. You basically have a long pencil standing on it's point, with nothing keeping it still at either end. Now, the rod in the cake safe is a pencil that is anchored firmly at it's top by the cake safe lid, and by the predrilled flanged hole in it's base. You have in essence, skewered your cake like a shish kebob. It. Ain't. Going. Anywhere. Not a chance. It doesn't require any extra "gluing" of layers above what you should be doing anyways. I don't glue my cakes with icing on their boards, the moistness alone takes cake of that.

dynee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dynee Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:51pm
post #34 of 46

I don't have a need for this box because I'm lucky to do 5 simple cakes a year and rarely transport a cake but with that said. When you do get a chance to see the video, you'll notice the hard plastic piece that is put in the lid right before the rod is pushed through. I'm guessing that is what keeps the rod lined up with the bottom hole. If you have one...is that correct?

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:54pm
post #35 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by __Jamie__

Ok. Picture this. Imagine you are putting your dowel through the cake as normal. Now, imagine the cake isn't there. You basically have a long pencil standing on it's point, with nothing keeping it still at either end. Now, the rod in the cake safe is a pencil that is anchored firmly at it's top by the cake safe lid, and by the predrilled flanged hole in it's base. You have in essence, skewered your cake like a shish kebob. It. Ain't. Going. Anywhere. Not a chance. It doesn't require any extra "gluing" of layers above what you should be doing anyways. I don't glue my cakes with icing on their boards, the moistness alone takes cake of that.

this i understand. my concern was how easy it was to actually thread it correctly through the cake. didn't want a bunch of pokes in the top of the cake and such. but everyone says that is it easy peasy. guess you will only know if you try it icon_smile.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 2:59pm
post #36 of 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by cas17

Quote:

this i understand. my concern was how easy it was to actually thread it correctly through the cake. didn't want a bunch of pokes in the top of the cake and such. but everyone says that is it easy peasy. guess you will only know if you try it icon_smile.gif

Exactly! Easy peasy. You only put it through with one pass, no poke holes anywhere. And it would be smaller that a regular dowel anyways.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:29pm
post #37 of 46

I must have missed the video. The only one I saw was the cake crash in the car. I would not put a cake on a plate & drive w/ it. I put my base cake on a board & then glue it w/ melted chocolate to the base. If I don't use sps I will stack w/ dowels & my center dowel I hammer all the way through the bottom of the foam board. I guess I can see the top being held in place would help but I definitely can't deal w/ that price at this time. I would love peace of mind when delivering though b/c my poor dh gets yelled at sooooo much icon_smile.gif

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:40pm
post #38 of 46
Quote:

exactly! thumbs_up.gif there is a science to it...when you have stability past the cake on the top and the bottom it has no where to go. This product is genius!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:44pm
post #39 of 46

http://www.cakesafe.com/manuals/Assembly.pdf

here are the step by step instructions!!

adonisthegreek1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adonisthegreek1 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:04pm
post #40 of 46

I like the concept. It's not worth it for me to pay that kind of money though. I do more candies and chocolates than cakes. If that ever changes though I would consider buying this.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 1:36pm
post #41 of 46

I don't fully understand what keeps the cake from ripping away from that center rod though. I mean, I understand that the boards wouldn't be able to go anywhere unless they ripped, but the cake...wouldn't it just rip from the pressure. I mean nobody would dare hold the cake on its side like they show in the photo, but if it got jarred good enough I would think it would just rip away, wouldn't you?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:15pm
post #42 of 46

Thanks KHalsted. That's what I was talking about

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Nov 2009 , 3:32pm
post #43 of 46
Quote:

Ok..the rod is anchored into the bottom, as a center dowel is not. If you watch the videos, it really does answer a lot of these questions.

Actually, the way I construct my cakes, my center dowel IS anchored to the baseboard. I'll keep using my dowels and masonite boards, and cardboard boxes, when needed. Haven't had a disaster yet (knock wood).

I didn't realize people stressed SO much about transporting cakes until I came on this site... that's the easy part, for me lol.

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 17 Jan 2010 , 1:46am
post #44 of 46

Well this is long over due.

I have had this item sitting in my house for a few months to try it out. The owners are not too far from me and offered ICES members to try it out. Today I finally tried it and actually it worked very well. I even gave it to my customer to take the cake to the venue with. They had no problems taking it apart, just take one side off and take the cake out. Good thing I had it because man the back of thier car was full of dog hair!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:15pm
post #45 of 46

Psurette- Have you used it again? Did you buy your own? I am thinking of getting one and am curious....

Thanks!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 25 May 2010 , 10:52pm
post #46 of 46

I have one here also....it is made of very high quality materials, and works like a charm. I feel it is like the agbay, for those who want a professional way to deliver a cake that is practically foolproof, this is the ticket. Pricey, but if you take into account that this item will last for years and it gurantees a safe delviery EVERY time you use it - well worth it. (which is why I used the example of the agbay....not for everyone, but for those who are in business, most definately worth the investement, IMO)
When disassembled, it stores in a very small space.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%