Disco Dust

Decorating By leslie2748 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm by AngelFood4

leslie2748 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leslie2748 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:42pm
post #1 of 9

I have bought disco dust, and it looks a lot like glitter to me...I can't seem to figure out how to paint it on like you see on ruby slippers, that solid glitter look. How is this achieved? Please respond icon_surprised.gif)

8 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:52pm
post #2 of 9

Use thinned out piping gel (thin it with water.) Brush on lightly and sprinkle the disco dust on then shake off.

leslie2748 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 11:57pm
post #3 of 9

Oh! Thank you! I actually did a fish cake for my husband, and I painted it with piping gel to make it look wet....I did notice, however, that the piping gel remained sticky even a day later? Will that stuff ever dry?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 12:13am
post #4 of 9

ha ha ha! Probably someday but yes, it stays sticky for a while. It likes to remain tacky for a long, long time. Plus with the Disco Dust on top of it, that helps it not be sticky.

leslie2748 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:11am
post #5 of 9

Well thank you Bobwonderbuns icon_surprised.gif)
I will try that next time! Any ideas on how to get fondant to look "wet" without the gel? I read that you can spray Pam on it and brush it in, and that it looks very good, but haven't tried that yet.

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:47am
post #6 of 9

You could try rubbing a little crisco (solid) over the surface. Or use a steamer to lightly steam the surface.

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #7 of 9

I have done the ruby slippers several times now - what I do is just use the airbrush colors - paint it on with a brush, then (while still wet) sprinkle the disco dust on - (I do this over a paper plate so I can "bend" the plate and put the un used disco dust back in the container) It dries nicely, doesn't stay tacky at all like the piping gel does.

leslie2748 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #8 of 9

That is a great tip too! Thank you!

AngelFood4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelFood4 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 6:41pm
post #9 of 9

I just did a tiara this weekend with the rainbow disco dust. I used almond extract to wet the surface, brushed it with the disco dust, then held it over a little bit of steam to set (used a small pot of boiling water). Worked wonderfully, it wasn't sticky and the dust stayed put.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%