What Should I Charge? What Would You Pay?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 9:57pm by cylstrial

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 10

I am planning to do some candied apples and chocolate coated apples with white and milk chocolate and maybe nuts..(not sure due to the nut allergy thing) and also caramel.These will be for a Christmas craft/bake sale.What would you charge for one apple? What would you be willing to pay? Also they will be wrapped with clear cellophane bags and matching christmas colored ribbons so I want to factor in the sticks.bags and ribboN.

One more question...If I can't find the red candy mix that most grocery stores sell at Halloween to make your own candied apples...Can I use Isomalt and dye it red?

Your thoughts!! icon_wink.gif

Laurel thumbs_up.gif

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:27pm
post #2 of 10

Isomalt in small doses is ok. On a whole apple it could make someone sick with the adverse effect on your gastrointestinal plumbing if you get my drift.

I don't know about the money part.

Check out Mrs. Prindables on QVC for some examples--or just google it.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:31pm
post #3 of 10

They were $6 at the fair and mrs prindables are huge but also a ridiculous amount of money like $20 for one apple!!! I would probably pay $5-$8depending on the size and toppings, more for chocolate, decadent looking ones with some sort of decorative wrapping.

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 10

Thanks K8..I'll do that...Didn't know that about Isomalt either so I guess that is out! Thanks!

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #5 of 10

bbmom...that is what I was thinking....I'm gonna check out this Mrs Prindables...

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 10

Oh I forgot to say, my mom always made her own candy apples with karo syrup, sugar and flavorings, and of course red food coloring...I dont know the recipe, but we boiled it on the stove.

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:37pm
post #7 of 10

That's what I think I will end up doing is making my own coating...I'll have to find a recipe and I already have a candy thermoter so....Wow..I just looked at Mrs Prindables site and WOW....Expensive but they are gourmet...Can't say I would pay that much but I guess others do!!

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:44pm
post #8 of 10

Kiddiekakes do you have a bulk barn or no frills supermarket near you?

I found the candy apple mix that your looking for in both those stores, in the supermarket look for it near the apples icon_smile.gif

Kiddiekakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 10

G Cakes..No..there is no bulk barn out west here but I did find the packaged mix last year at the grocery store by the apples so I am hoping they will have it again when I go on friday..If not I will make my own...Thanks for the response!!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:57pm
post #10 of 10

My friend sells her candy apples between $5.50 and $6.00 each. She puts a lot of other candies onto the apples though. So there will carmel and then it will be covered in M&M's, etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%