How Do I Get Fondant To Be A Dark Or Deep Color?

Decorating By cuteums Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 3:21am by Mike_Elder

cuteums Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cuteums Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:22am
post #1 of 5

What can I do to get bright red, navy blue, black, royal purple, etc. Really true rich colors in the fondant? I use Pettinice by the way which only comes in white or dark brown (chocolate)

Oh and please don't say buy Satin Ice. The stuff is a waste of money. Most of it ends up in the garbage because it sticks to everything in sight. Plus it smells bad and tastes horrible. I'd almost (i say almost) prefer Wilton to the Satin Ice.

4 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:37am
post #2 of 5

I have not tried them yet, but I have heard from a lot of CCers the best colors are the Americolor food colors. I looked for them online, and they are really not to bad priced. Just haven't gotten around to trying them yet. HTH When I do black I usually start with chocolate and add my black food color to that. With the wilton colors you really have to add a lot though.

milkmaid42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
milkmaid42 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #3 of 5

This may not be the approach you are looking for, but I make my own fondant--(tastes SO much better than store bought)---and put in powdered food color with the powdered sugar.It there is any tweaking of the color later, a little Americolor helps.

jobueno Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jobueno Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:12pm
post #4 of 5

Hi there Cuteums:
I have found that making your own fondant works best. I make my own and I add the Americolor food colors to the liquid before adding it to the sugar. This gives the fondant the depth of color you dsire. If you try adding the color to already made fondant, it takes much more food coloring and much more elblow grease to knead it all in.

Mike_Elder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike_Elder Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 3:21am
post #5 of 5

I keep kneading in color! sometimes you think you'll never get it but just keep adding (gel) color!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%