How To Stack 6 Cakes Tall And Keep Gelatin From Curling

Decorating By shaymomx5 Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 1:20am by JanH

shaymomx5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaymomx5 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:24am
post #1 of 2

I had posted this in another area, but I guess I should have posted it here...

Good morning cakesters )

I am in the planning stages of making a cake for an event that will have about 700 people (of course not all will eat cake, so I am estimating maybe 500-600 needing a serving). It is a building on top of a sheet cake. Right now I am planning the base to be (6) 12"x18"x2" 2-layer cakes. (2 x3 laid out). The building will be (6) 12"x18"x2" stacked up.

This will be my first cake of this magnitude. My original thought was to make the base with a box cake mix (Betty Crocker Butter Supermoist) and the building out of the Chocolate WASC cake that is found in the Cake Central recipes. However, I fear that those are too moist to accomplish this. Can anyone weigh in on whether they will hold up or have a suggestion of a tried and true recipe that will hold up and yet still taste good and moist?

Second question. I am making the outer glass for the windows out of gelatin as someone earlier had suggested. I used vodka and food coloring and painted them to achieve the green look. My problem is that while drying it began to curl, some worse than others. I am going to try to moisten the sheets again and flatten them out. Is there any way that I can prevent this?
As always, thank you to those that weigh in. You have helped me in a bind more times than I can count at this point.

1 reply
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #2 of 2

Duplicate post, please see:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-656867-.html

HTH

P.S. It is not necessary to post the same question in multiple forums as most CC members use "view posts since last visit" feature rathen than viewing posts forum by forum.

All members will have the opportunity to read your post when next they log on. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%