Memory Foam For Deliveries

Decorating By J1977 Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 2:40am by playingwithsugar

J1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
J1977 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:08pm
post #1 of 11

Anyone use memory foam to assist in deliveries? I heard someone say they used it but I wasn't sure what kind or how much it really helped.

tha

10 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:08am
post #2 of 11

I use shelf liners the rubber ones that come in a roll and you cut, but maybe this will help give you a bump and someone will see and help you. HTH

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:17am
post #3 of 11

I place my cakes in a box and then put that on top of a piece of memory foam (2") that also has a piece of no skid on top of it.

Memory foam limits the transfer of motion--the commercials show a couple in bed with a glass of red wine sitting next to them. The woman jumps up and down and the glass doesn't move.

I believe that this set-up helps to limit the effects of the vibrations of the car on the cake.

I put the foam on the rear floor of my SUV each time I make a delivey of any baked goods--cupcakes, cookies, cakes, etc.

HTH
Rae

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:18am
post #4 of 11

Where can you buy memory foam by the sheet?

Thanks!

Theresa icon_smile.gif

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:25am
post #5 of 11

There are all sorts of memory foam products on the market these days. ALL are expensive... pretty expensive for cake transport, unless you transport lots and lots of cakes imo.

The easiest way to buy it in sheet form is as a mattress topper. They are quite heavy to lug around too.

I bought a queen-size memory foam mattress topper (2"thickx60x84) from Sam's for about $100.00. I think they also had twin size which would cover most the floor of my van with the seats out. Seems like it was around $60, but I am not sure.

playingwithsugar Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:36am
post #6 of 11

It may be expensive, but it sounds like a wise investment, even for someone who does cakes casually, especially if they're doing stacked cakes that have to be assembled prior to transport.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:14am
post #7 of 11

Another alternative is super dense upholstery-type foam. JoAnns sells some in varying thicknesses. The super dense kind is colored green. It can get really expensive also, especially for the thicker slabs. I bought about two yards of it, a couple of inches thick, with a 40% or 50% coupon. I can't recall how much it cost, but I'm thinking less than $25 with the coupons.

Here's how I "package" a cake for delivery, which is usually to my own family members, but all live at least one hour away, most longer.

I cut the foam slab in half, giving me two nice rectangles.
I put one foam slab down in the back of the car.
In the kitchen, I put the other foam slab on a sheet of plywood cut small enough to fit in the back of the car but large enough to handle the cake without messing up the decorated/covered cake base.
I transfer the cake to the foam slab on the plywood.
If possible, I slide a large upturned cardboard box over the cake. I have one that fits perfectly, and I reuse it.
Two people grab the plywood and carry the cake to the car, where we place it on the first foam slab.

Both our cars are really old small cars and ride rough, but so far not one incident.

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:36pm
post #8 of 11

I think it would work great!

Jen icon_smile.gif

sweetcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #9 of 11

oh! this is good to know. I got a king size mattress topper for our bed, tried it, hubby didn;t like it so i had to take it off. i ended up cutting it in half and used half on my side. well that didn;t last long either, i was sleeping 3" higher!!! so now i have two pieces rolled up on my floor and dont know what to do with them. i need to try this in the back of my van, Umm? it might give my hubby other ideas if he sees that!!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 1:58am
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcakes

oh! this is good to know. I got a king size mattress topper for our bed, tried it, hubby didn;t like it so i had to take it off. i ended up cutting it in half and used half on my side. well that didn;t last long either, i was sleeping 3" higher!!! so now i have two pieces rolled up on my floor and dont know what to do with them. i need to try this in the back of my van, Umm? it might give my hubby other ideas if he sees that!!

I DID THE SAME THING! Except I refuse to give up my half! Now I know what to do with his half!!!

playingwithsugar Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:40am
post #11 of 11

For anyone who is interested, I just got this in my e-mails today.

www.boscovs.com

has memory foam toppers on sale for the next few days, with free shipping for purchases over $50, excluding extra heavy deliveries.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%