Can I Cover A Cake In Modeling Chocolate?

Decorating By christyA Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm by iwantcookies

christyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christyA Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:42pm
post #1 of 5

I have a client who wants a topsy-turvy cake for next weekend but doesn't like the texture/flavor of fondant (doesn't like how it gets hard). I was wondering if I could use modeling chocolate to cover the cake to get the same look as fondant. Any ideas?

4 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:37pm
post #2 of 5

Why not use marshmallow fondant. Mine doesn't actually get hard. It's more like a semi-hard cookie dough. The buttercream usually helps keep it from getting hard. Also if you use a good crusting buttercream (indydebi has a good recipe in the recipe section), you can get a very smooth look. Do a crumb-coat (thin layer of icing) let it set until when you touch it with your finger it doesn't stick to your finger. Then do your full icing (if you pipe your icing on with a decorator bag with just a coupler this will be much easier), after your icing is applied smooth out with a bench scraper. Allow the icing to crust (when you press on the icing gently it doesn't stick to your finger) then take a VIVA brand paper towel, lie it on the cake and take your bench scraper or fondant smoother and glide it gently across the paper towel to smooth out any imperfections. It takes a little practice, so don't get frustrated. Do the sides as well. You could also do a poured fondant or ganache. There are several options and you can find most of the recipes on here in the recipe section. I have never used modeling chocolate, so I am no help to you there.

pegalter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pegalter Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #3 of 5

Modeling chocolate can work very well to cover cakes; you can even roll it out ahead of time and store it between sheets of baking paper or plastic. If thin sheets get cold and firm, lightly warm them with a hair dryer.

For a shiny look, rub the rolled sheet with the palm of your hand to bring out the cocoa butter in the chocolate and shine it up.

Modeling chocolate can also be combined with fondant (any proportion will work, depending on the desired qualities and consisitency). Just knead the two together until blended.

Peggy

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:46pm
post #4 of 5

I second Peggy's post. And welcome to CC, Peggy--great first post, CakeBuddy!

iwantcookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iwantcookies Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 5

I was actually wondering the same thing!! good to know that it can be done!! Has anyone tried it yet?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%