How Long Can Cake Truffles Be Stored?

Decorating By sugarspice Updated 26 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm by cabecakes

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #1 of 12

I am wondering how long cake truffles can be stored? Can the un-dipped or dipped truffles be stored in the freezer? I would like to make some about a week ahead & wonder if this is possible. Do the oreo truffles w/ crm cheese need to be kept in the fridge or are they ok for 3 days or so at room temp?? Thank you!

11 replies
cabecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cabecakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #2 of 12

The way I do it is, I make my cake balls and place them on a cookie sheet covered with parchment paper. I place this in freezer just until stiff. Then I put those in a freezer bag. Then when it gets close to when I need them, I take them out and dip them. I don't care for the look of frozen chocolate (it gets a whitish appearance to it), so I do it this way. The only trouble I have is keeping DH and kids out of them until I want to use them. LOL. As far as the cream cheese, I personally wouldn't leave it unrefrigerated for 3 days.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:00pm
post #3 of 12

Same here, my experience with frozen chocolat is that it cracks when thawing. But I have frozen them up to 30 days and they are still fine.

Don't know about the oreo cookie/cream cheese ones though, and not to still the show here but how are those made? Sounds yummy

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:43pm
post #4 of 12

I do the same as cabe cakes!
And I dont think they hold well at room temp for a long period of time to be honest.

sugarspice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarspice Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 10:40pm
post #5 of 12

Ok, that sounds like the way to make them! The oreo truffles are a pkg of oreos, crushed fine and mixed with a pkg of soft crm cheese-then proceed as you would for any cake truffle. Thanks for the help!!

auntginn Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #6 of 12

Your welcome. Thank you for the oreo recipe. Sounds great will have to give them a try.

cabecakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 12

This is what I want to try, take an almond or a hazel nut, wrap some cake ball mixture around the nut. Freeze. Roll in crushed orea cookies. Then dip in chocolate. I don't know if it will work, but it's on my to try list. I just love those, oh what do you call them, Ferrar Roce thingys. The expensive little chocolates wrapped in gold paper. I think with the cake ball stuff these would be even better.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:19pm
post #8 of 12

Yesterday, I saw Giada DeLaurentiis on the Food NetWork take the cake truffles and push lollipop sticks into them before freezing them. Then she dipped them into chocolate like we do for the truffles. Yet another variation on these treats! YUM!!!!

Paul

leahk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leahk Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabecakes

This is what I want to try, take an almond or a hazel nut, wrap some cake ball mixture around the nut. Freeze. Roll in crushed orea cookies. Then dip in chocolate. I don't know if it will work, but it's on my to try list. I just love those, oh what do you call them, Ferrar Roce thingys. The expensive little chocolates wrapped in gold paper. I think with the cake ball stuff these would be even better.

Sounds yummy! You may have to double dip them to get a smooth coat over the crumbs.

MissCakeCrazy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissCakeCrazy Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:39pm
post #10 of 12

Does anyone else have any other receipe's for these truffles?

auntginn Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #11 of 12

Not yet, but while making some cake balls this am I was wondering how a pumpkin cream cheese would hold up. Kinda like a pumpkin cheesecake I was hoping. What da you think??? icon_smile.gif Anybody try this yet.

I'll try drying some cake in the oven on a low heat and rolling that in the pumpkin mixture instead of cookie crumbs. icon_surprised.gificon_rolleyes.gif

cabecakes Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 12

Oh auntginn that sounds good to. That would be awesome for an after Thanksgiving dinner snack. LOL.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%