Partial Cancellation Of Order What Would You Do?

Lounge By G_Cakes Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm by -K8memphis

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 7:57am
post #1 of 15

For starters I just want to clarify that I am not a professional baker, I just do cakes for family and friends....all I ask is that they cover the costs of supplies and ingredients...because I really just love to bake.

OK here goes:

I get a call from my SIL Tuesday night saying that she has a friend who needs a birthday cake to feed 30 people and 24 cupcakes.

The cake would be a vanilla cake, iced in BC and covered in Fondant with Fondant flowers and butterfly's. The filling is Vanilla Custard.

The cupcakes are iced with whipped cream and there are 5 different colors that would coordinate with the colors of the cake.

I tell her no problem just cover the expenses of what I have to buy for it, ingredients, cake boards, whipped cream, fondant etc. thumbs_up.gif

Earlier this evening after baking the cake and the cupcakes and making the custard, BC and the decorations; I send my SIL a message asking when I would need to drop everything of to her as she was the one making the delivery....

We end up chatting online and she tells me Noon (later today) and I say sure not problem. She asks me what everything cost and I tell her that I spent $50.00 on supplies....

Well she tells me that this person is on a budget and that this is not good and that she will call this person and make sure it's ok.

Well needless to say she said NO WAY and that she can pick up a cake at costco for less than that (deep breath).icon_mad.gif

But the cake is already baked and the cupcakes are done and decorated. I have 8 cups of Buttercream and already tinted the fondant, and the custard was cooling in the fridge.

Now she (my SIL) says that since the cupcakes were already done that she would offer me $30.00 for them to which I reply "she could probably find them cheaper at costco"icon_mad.gif

But I agree and say fine since they are already made and decorated.

But now my hubby and I just had a huge blowout over this...since I was laid off and will be starting school shortly (January) money is very tight...and now I am taking a loss of $20.00 on this order and have a 14" petal shaped vanilla custard filled cake sitting here.

I told him that I would donate it to a local womens shelter and they could enjoy it. He thinks its a good idea but also he feels that I should take the loss of the whole $50.00 and donate the cupcakes too rather than give them to this woman who placed the order via my SIL. (Principal/ Making a POINT)

I am angry but figure it was my own fault for not speaking with the woman directly and finding out here budget before I did anything.

So now I am torn about what to do....

Should I take the whole loss and donate to a worthy cause based on principal or just go a head and fill the order for the cupcakes and take the $20.00 hit in the bank account.

What would you do?

Sorry about the long rant but I am still a little wound up icon_confused.gif

14 replies
Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:05am
post #2 of 15

I think you should go ahead and sell the cupcakes and get your $30. At least that will cover more than half of your supplies and the cupcakes were the cheapest part to make, right? I know it's a matter of pride but you can't eat pride and you can't fill your gas tank up with it, so take the $30 and don't take any more orders through your SIL without payment in advance.

And make sure the 14" petal cake is sitting there in all its decorated glory when SIL or the other woman come to pick up the cupcakes, so they can see what they missed out on.

G_Cakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:18am
post #3 of 15

Thanks Texas I do want to give her the cupcakes, not even so much for the money but more cause I know htere is a little girl who's turning 8 who is gonna love them icon_smile.gif

Hubby on the other hand is Miffed and well let's just say that it's going to be a very long and quiet weekend to say the least LOL.

Guess I learned a valuable lesson to boot! icon_wink.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:21am
post #4 of 15

Get the $30, take hubby out to dinner with it icon_biggrin.gif

G_Cakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 8:40am
post #5 of 15

LOL on principal maybe I should just take him out for coffee and CAKE LOL

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:48pm
post #6 of 15

Well if he is so miffed maybe he should talk to his sister- you said sil placed the order.

I say take the $30, make sure she sees the glorious cake sitting there, and don't do anymore orders for sil or her friends. And if you do make sure you give her a good estimate of cost before hand.

Sorry this happened to you. People suck

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 1:12pm
post #7 of 15

I see it this way well l'll say it like as if I got stiffed.

I got screwed,
And didn't get kissed.
Why should I go give them a big sweet smooch?

Why not make hubby happy in the process. He's got your back after all.

I just wanna ask--why is it your fault they stiffed you?
They agreed to your terms. They asked for tons of detail.

Auryn, it might be her brother's wife--don't know.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:33pm
post #8 of 15

Money up front next time, but I'm sure you've figured that out on your own!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:42pm
post #9 of 15

icon_lol.gif I always like to know who I'm talking about so I avoid using brother-in-law type of titles. A sister-in-law can be (1) your brother's wife (2) your husband's sister (3) your husband's brother's wife. Too generic for me!

On this issue, I'm actually kinda torn. when money is tight, every little helps, even if it just makes the hole you're in only a little smaller. yet i dont' want to send the message that all you have to do is whine about the price and ".....she'll give 'em to ya cheaper!" If I were to cut my losses and take the money, you can bet your butt that I'd spend EVERY family gathering b*tching about how I PAID someone to take those cakes off of my hands and how they can BET it would NEVER happen again, so don't even THINK about asking! (it's easy for me to do that since I'm the family b*tch anyway ..... a crown I wear with pride and joy! icon_biggrin.gif )

-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:54pm
post #10 of 15

Know what? I can't exactly tell if sil or chicklette is offering the thirty bucks--but either way--the other one could cough up the $20 and make this right. Sil brokered the deal--call her back & tell her the 'new deal'.

icon_biggrin.gif

Just some 'how the feud began' thoughts for you. icon_lol.gif

No but seriously--it's only 20 & goal to go.

Where's the I want to choke them smilie face? just kidding sorta

Brendabeeper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendabeeper Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm
post #11 of 15

my vote is also to sell the cupcakes, recoop at least the $30.00 and to make that 8 yr old happy. Oh they may be able to get a cake from Costco, Walmart. or other for $20.00 but it won't be anywhere near as cute or good. Everyone wants the cute, special cake and they can't even handle the ( cost of supply) just kills me. What is another $20.00 when it will almost be that for the store cake? I know you love baking and decorating which is why we do this to ourselfs. Do they know we give up so much of our Time, to shop , bake, decorate and clean up. Then we spend more to get that quick dinner for our own family, stay up late cleaining or decorating. The family time, cleaning time or just time to ourselfs that we (GIVE up). It is easy to see where the anger and frustration comes in. The other cake she didn't take can be donated, and the people who get to enjoy it will be thankfull. A cake for priest, doctor, teachers, a person you never got around to giving thanks .... Best wishes

-K8memphis Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:14pm
post #12 of 15

I think it's funny nobody much thinks to make the hubby happy--the unknown 8 yr old is more important.

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:21pm
post #13 of 15

Since hubby's usually act like 8 year olds, I thought we WERE trying to make hubby happy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

G_Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:37am
post #14 of 15

Hello Ladies, just wanted to give you an update....

I am very happy to say that the cake and cupcakes were donated to the local shelter here and the loved it!

I had intended to fill the cupcake order but my SIL got a bit miffed because apparently I made her look bad to her friend who originally placed the order...(not sure how) but I hope she get's over it LOL .

I think the reason she is so upset is cause she probably promised this person something that she could not deliver on (Indydebie I think you hit it bang on) like "she will do it for free or only a few bux!"

My hubby and I both delivered the yummy goodies Saturday afternoon and the hug's and thanks never seemed to end!

My hubby said that it was the best 50.00 dollars I have ever spent icon_smile.gif

I now know where ALL my practice/test cakes will go! and hubby said I would not get one single objection from him.

All is well on the matrimonial front, and as for SIL (hubby's brothers wife) well I'm hoping she will learn that it's not always about her icon_wink.gif

Thanks for all your support and advice icon_smile.gif

-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm
post #15 of 15

What a perfect ending!! sniff sniff

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%