10.23.09 Friday Night Cake Club

Decorating By leah_s Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 8:27am by Cathy26

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:32am
post #1 of 59

is called to order.

Who's up?
Whatcha workin on?

Regulars check in. Lurkers, come out of the shadows!

58 replies
-Tubbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-Tubbs Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:38am
post #2 of 59

Should be working! Instead am chatting with an old friend on Facebook and surfing CC!

Have already finished a Cougar cake for a lady turning 30, plus an order of pumpkin cookies for the loca Avon lady to give out with her orders. Still need to finish 6 dozen cupcakes and a dessert cake for my friend's son's birthday - choc orange mousse cake (divine, tastes like Terry's choc orange).

Hope you're feeling better than you did last Firday Leah!

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:43am
post #3 of 59

I'm here tonight...I procrastinated on my cake just so I could be part of FNCC icon_biggrin.gif

Not really...I've been sick and trying to put off the cake until I was better. It's a two-tier 10" and 6" with zebra stripes on the 10", a hot pink fondant ribbon around each tier with chocolate cameos and a loopy bow on top. I'm painting the zebra stripes on because I'm not enough of a masochist to cut them out and stick them on.

I'm making Indydebi's BC like usual but I don't have enough Crisco. Anyone know if it works to sub some butter for part of the Crisco? I'm too tired to go to the store.

leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:44am
post #4 of 59

Yes, thank you Tubbs, much better. And thanks to everyone last week for the kind get well wishes.

I have three wedding cakes and 2 groom's cakes to finish tonight. elivered 1 wedding and 1 groom's cake today.

They are all in various states of completion.

traceym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceym Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #5 of 59

I'm making halloween cakeballs for a party tomorrow. They are in the freezer getting hard while I surf here. icon_wink.gif

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #6 of 59

All cakes finished! Had a doll cake and some christenings and a whole heap of assorted birthdays.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:48am
post #7 of 59

I'm up but not caking! Just baked a couple small ones today...to decorate for tomorrow for some church activities...no orders though.

Next week is slow too...then I get slammed (for me, anyway) all November.

leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 2:57am
post #8 of 59

I've only got one next weekend. It's fairly sparse for the remainder of the year. This is my last "big" weekend.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:02am
post #9 of 59

Hi Everyone,
glad you are better leah_s
I just finished some jollyroger candy making decorations they came out good.
How is everyone tonight

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #10 of 59

Up to my flipping eyeballs in cake. Two square wedding cakes, one with 2 14" kitchen cakes. This will be a late night. Think I'll split it up a bit, nap in a bit, and wake up at 2 or 3.

leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #11 of 59

Check in Lurv, I'll probably be here. After only getting 3 hours of sleep last night, I'm moving slow.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:22am
post #12 of 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by traceym

I'm making halloween cakeballs for a party tomorrow. They are in the freezer getting hard while I surf here. icon_wink.gif

oh please take a picture and post it, and please pm me and let me know, I love photos of cake balls. TIA

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:25am
post #13 of 59

Hi all. I am working on a 3 tier 10,8,6 covered in BC with gumpaste/MMF accents. This is my first cake with stripes. I am putting them on the 10. Can anyone tell me if I put the stripes on before I stack so that part of the stripes go under the middle tier? Will this mess up how level it is? If I put them on after I stack it, how do I prevent it from interfering with the ribbon I put around bottom of the middle tier?

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #14 of 59

Just lurking reading you guys posts, about to go to bed though.
Glad you are feeling better leah_s.
Good nite all.

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:29am
post #15 of 59

Tomsmom, I would put the stripes on first, then stack. It won't mess up how level it is because there's going to be stripes all around. Put the ribbon on after the stripes. The stripes will look really close together on top, I would cut off the parts that would overlap in the center, just use kitchen shears to trim them, and remember that the next tier is going to cover that part up.

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:36am
post #16 of 59

Thanks so much! I thought that was the cleanest way to do it, but I sure don't want to screw it up and have to fix it. I am so tired my head is already swimming! My kids were sick all week and I haven't gotten but about 3-4 hours of sleep every night.

I am so glad you ladies are here on Friday nights!

korensmommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
korensmommy Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #17 of 59

Hi everyone!

I'm here and have just 1 cake this weekend! I'm so excited to have a break (though I am thankful for all the business) and be able to clean out my cake closet and reorganize my supplies.

My cake is a simple 9" decorated in cute fondant rainbows, butterflies, flowers and customer wants to put her daughter's favorite Dora figure on top. Easy and it's done!

Back to cleaning.....

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:44am
post #18 of 59

Well I just finished a 4 tier wedding cake and 3 kitchen cakes, a grooms cake that is a 3d guitar with a mountain scene on it, and a rubiks cube cake. Now I get to deliver tomorrow and then go and cater for 2000 people.

Texas_Rose Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 3:58am
post #19 of 59

Patticakesnc, I'm picturing you as the Energizer bunny, cause you keep going and going and going icon_biggrin.gif 2000 people? Do you have help?

Korensmommy, that cake sounds like it's going to be adorable!

leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:02am
post #20 of 59

Patti, WOW! Tell us you have help.

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:08am
post #21 of 59

you women are amazing!!!!
I have my 3D plymouth chillin'

Texas_Rose, I actually like the painted zebra stripes. (hence I have two cakes like that.... icon_lol.gif )
I'm not sure it was that much quicker though icon_confused.gif I guess I'm just slow icon_biggrin.gif

pieceacake830 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pieceacake830 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #22 of 59

My only cake for this weekend was delivered earlier today, now I am bustin' my butt getting ready for a big halloween party tomorrow night! Ugh 35-40 kids ! icon_eek.gif what do I get myself into? I think I'll be up later tonight than most nights I stay up to work on cake!

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:15am
post #23 of 59

Hi all,
I haven't been on cc in awhile, nice to see you all up.

Holy smokes Patti!!
Leah, I'm with you. 2 hours last night and I caught a quick nap from 8-10 tonight. Delivered a 2 tier baby shower cake and now I'm finishing a 4 tier fall wedding cake.
I'm doing my first (big) bridal show tomorrow and Sunday so I've been making all kinds of dummies, samples, etc. Any tips from you veterans?

Alana

cakesbyk2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyk2 Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:21am
post #24 of 59

Hello everyone!
I work in public school athletics as an assistant athletic director and just got home from ball games. I picked up cake decorating about a year & a half ago. I love to get on CC just read and learn. This is the neatest post yet. All of you are amazing. I started learning cakes in order to make my niece's quinceanera cake next year and am actually making my daughter's wedding cake next year also. Thanks to all the inspiration I get from this site. thumbs_up.gif

alanaj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alanaj Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:24am
post #25 of 59

Oh Leah, quick question---I know you have an Agbay and love it. I'm hoping to buy one soon. Have you seen their new "deluxe" or whatever that makes a torte cut at the same time? If you have, do you think it's worth the extra $100?

leah_s Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:27am
post #26 of 59

Good to see some new names at the FNCC! We're here every Friday beginning between 10:30 and 10:45 EST. If you have a problem or just want to talk about what you're working on, there is an active group here.

Alana, for wedding shows, my advice is: put your cake samples in lidded souffle cups with a sticker with your contact info on it; wear comfortable shoes; and remember the goal of the show - to meet other wedding vendors and form referral relationships. Walk the floor during the fashion show and tell everyone else how amazing their booth looks.

Any actual brides you meet are gravy.

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:31am
post #27 of 59

LOL, My husband will help me. We will cook for about 10 hours tomorrow and transport it from the club to the hotel where the party is. The club has 3 hotels completely booked for the Halloween party. Trust me I don't feel like the energizer bunny. I worked on these cakes yesterday until 6:25 this morning, finally fell asleep around 9:30 this morning and got up around 1 this afternoon. Honestly I feel beat, but blessed that I have work to do!

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:33am
post #28 of 59

Since I work at the job that pays the bills on weekends, I do my caking during the week.

With Hallowe'en coming up, I'll be spending my week doing treats for my kids' classes. I'm thinking of doing something 'simple but impressive' - I'm going to bake a couple of white 9 X 13's, then use Hallowe'en cookie cutters to cut out small ghosts and pumpkins. Then cover them in white or orange ganache, and add faces with melted chocolate. I'll need to make at least 50 for the two classes for Friday morning, so I'm spending Monday and Tuesday baking/cutting, and Wednesday and Thursday decorating.

If I have time, I'll also make some melted chocolate treats for the classes. I did this last year and they were a hit!

Suzycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suzycakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:34am
post #29 of 59

I'm here too! Already finish a baby shower and 2 birthday cakes. Now I'm working on 2 different 2 tier cakes for delivery tomorrow. I did my first painting job on gumpaste tonight too - painted some shoes, purses and martini glasses for one of the cakes. Then I still have the petit fours to make. I'll be here late too - I was doing great on my time until my son-in-law and a friend of his showed up for a 'cake scrap fest' - and ended up staying well over 2 hours.

I'm doing zebra stripes too - but I cut out the stripes last night from fondant and covered them in saran wrap to keep them pliable - at least I hope they are! It takes forever to cut those suckers!

Suze

CakeandDazzle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeandDazzle Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 4:47am
post #30 of 59

Hi everyone icon_smile.gif
I am working on my playgroup's Halloween cake for tomorrow... ghost on top of a night sky... it is coming well, just a few finishing touches left, but I still have a whole house to clean and food to make for the party, oh and decorating!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%