RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN FORREST RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:01am
post #32 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mensch

Quote:
Originally Posted by WykdGud

I must really have a unique mindset. I think that in the culinary industry, there is a lot of abuse that goes on in the kitchen (have you ever watched "Hell's Kitchen"?) ........

Sorry, but you're not unique. Many people think that TV is real.

I hope you're not implying that I am ignorant. I know the TV show is dramatized - much like most of the cake shows on TV. However, they do show REAL situations in perhaps a staged setting or portrayed by actors.

I have worked in a few kitchens, and worked under employers who behaved much like Gordon Ramsay (in and out of the kitchen). I would hope you're not suggesting that you think people don't actually treat others that way in the workplace. You're not, are you? I can assure you, it happens all the time. Sad but true.

I tried to give the OP the best advice I can based on my experiences. I would hate for her to give up on somthing that could possibly work to her advantage if given another chance. Similarly, I would recommend marital counseling before I would suggest divorce. I wonder who really has the OP's best interests at heart - the people who tell her what she wants to hear, or the ones who want her to consider all of her options before doing something rash? icon_biggrin.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:09am
post #33 of 38

See now the funny part is I wasn't looking for someone to 'tell me what I wanted to hear' (if you thought I was looking for permission to walk.) I KNEW that is what I would get...... I knew I would get tons of posts telling me to take off and run ~ find another place to rent.

I also know that it's much like telling someone there are more fish in the sea. Of course there are......but the good ones are usually not too easy to find.

I know this lady is batsh*t crazy icon_smile.gif and I know it would never work out in the long run. I just wondered if I might work it to my advantage (i.e. get thru the holidays) temporarily to suit my needs. Guess you could say I am sick and tired of being used.....it's time I'm on the other side. icon_lol.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:53am
post #34 of 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

...ask if I should still plan on working Wed & Thurs as sched. She then tells me she will let me know.....'What', I ask? She will call me to let me know.

I am floored,I mean, who the hell does this. I want to take my crap and tell her don't bother but decide to play it cool (read: doormat) so I simply take my display cake, bus cards and say ok....... No call. No call that day, night, the next day, night, etc...

So I cancel the potential cake I had for the weekend (they came to me thru Craigs List but came to the cafe to ask some questions. I cancel for fear she will turn me in. Still in the last minute order process, no money accepted yet - just in case she was trying to trap me).

this is my life.

I mean if you have to cancel your order and you have no idea what is going on how can you function in this environment? You have no control. There doesn't seem to be any way to make this happen if the owner is not willing. and the owner is not willing.

I had a similar deal operating a booth in an antique mall. The owners were unscrupulous nutjobs.

On a perfect sunny day with a tail wind this is gut wrenchingly difficult. When you have no control whatsoever over these things you have no ability to even operate--I mean what logical choice do you have.

I was just saying earlier today the best decision I made about my tea-room was to close it.

"Oh sure I can take your order for wedding favor cookies. Please initial my contract here to signify that you know you are required to have a back up plan in case I'm locked out that week."

No it's not working to your advantage. No this is not one of the good ones. This is a bad one. You can't make her different than she is.

What?

traceyjade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traceyjade Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 7:06am
post #35 of 38

If you do decide to do this for the holidays just make sure you are straight up with this woman and have a contract. Set everything straight at the begining so you both know what you want and what you are to do for her. Do this for you and don't be a push over, if you let her walk all over you she will. Know your rights and enforce them thumbs_up.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 7:56am
post #36 of 38

I've looked at your web site your work is beautiful, trust us she needs you a whole lot more than you need her. She is "Using" your talent to draw business to her store. Dump the PIA and move on. When one door closes another will open. Good Luck

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:34pm
post #37 of 38

You might have to give up the holiday business, that's the fact. You seem to be really focussed on the flyers that you've had printed up, like that's the reason that you want to continue dealing with this erratic nutjob. I think that's shortsighted, and I think that you need to re-read what Kate wrote above:

"Oh sure I can take your order for wedding favor cookies. Please initial my contract here to signify that you know you are required to have a back up plan in case I'm locked out that week."

Based on this woman's behavior, you have no assurance that you'll have access to the kitchen to fill these orders.

Take the flyers, file them away for next year, and walk out.

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #38 of 38

I have to agree with everything Kate and Costumeczar just said.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%