How To Create A Portfolio?

Business By Tammies_Cakes Updated 30 Oct 2009 , 4:57pm by Tammies_Cakes

Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #1 of 8

Hi all,
I am in the process of getting the necessary things done to be licensed to bake from my home. I need help on how to create a portfolio, Sample pictures would be great.
Thanks,
Tammie

7 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:33pm
post #2 of 8

Ummm, sample pictures? Like you want to post pictures of other people's cakes to put in your portfolio? I'll assume that's not what you mean.

So, bake cakes, decorate cakes, decorate foam dummies (you can google Dallas and Taylor Foam companies for more info)...then take pictures of your creations, and that is what your portfolio is.

emlashlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emlashlee Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:46pm
post #3 of 8

LOL! I read it that way the first time too. But I think the OP means how do you present the pictures. Right? Well, have you put any thought into getting a website? That way you can post the pics right up and your clients can access it at any time.

mmdiez10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdiez10 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 8

You have a bit of a portfolio started in your photos right here on CC. Just print your pics and put them in a binder or like emlashlee said, make a website and upload your work on there. Good luck.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:01pm
post #5 of 8

I have my pictures in a nice binder and put them, generally one to a page, then have a small area(piece of nice paper) where I write a little about the cake--basic decorating, type of flowers..... It helps when a customer likes elements of several cakes and can describe them so we all understand it. You can make your portfolio as plain or fancy or fun as you would like.

(Is this what you were looking for?)

Mindy1975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mindy1975 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm
post #6 of 8

For the most part the only thing I have right now is a photo album that holds 1000 pictures. That way I have one book, with all the pics of all the cakes I have done so far. When brides come over, I show them my work, and then we go through a alot of my cake decorating books to see some awesome cakes that can be done as well, like Collette Peters, Toba Garrett, Lindy Smith, etc. They also usually come with pics of their own, to show what ideas they have come up with as well. I am also in the process of creating a website. It is absolutely a must these days if you want to be taken seriously as a professional. I just got everything legal in March, and like to take things slow, so that's how I am with things. Don't worry, putting your pictures together is the easy part! lol

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tammies_Cakes Posted 30 Oct 2009 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 8

Thank you all . Yall are always so very helpful icon_wink.gif
Tammie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%