Dowel Rods

Decorating By justbyangela Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm by cylstrial

justbyangela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justbyangela Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:08pm
post #1 of 4

When do I place the dowel rods in the cake? After all icing is done and before stacking tiers? Or before icing and after crumb-coat?

3 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #2 of 4

I place the dowel rods in the cake a few minutes before I'm going to stack the cake. So all the icing is done and all I have to do is put the dowel rods in the cake and stack the cake. And we're done!

justbyangela Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justbyangela Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:38pm
post #3 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cylstrial

I place the dowel rods in the cake a few minutes before I'm going to stack the cake. So all the icing is done and all I have to do is put the dowel rods in the cake and stack the cake. And we're done!

Ok so the only thing is, how do you get them stacked without messing up the icing? It seems as though when I was putting together the layers and doing the filling it was hard enough getting them on without getting my fingers full of filling hahaha. Also when I put the top tier on top won't the cake board smear and mess up the icing on the bottom tier?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by justbyangela

Ok so the only thing is, how do you get them stacked without messing up the icing? It seems as though when I was putting together the layers and doing the filling it was hard enough getting them on without getting my fingers full of filling hahaha. Also when I put the top tier on top won't the cake board smear and mess up the icing on the bottom tier?[/quote]

Well you have to be really careful. So the bottom tier is set and ready to go. I would take a cardboard round or something and measure where the cake is going to sit. I put a teeny tiny mark with a corsage pin into the frosting on all four sides - so I know where the cake is going to go.

The next tier is on it's own little cardboard, probably cut to the same size. I would put yet another (bigger) cake board under the cake (just to use to carry the cake on for stability). So you get over there, and you want to slide the cake from the big cake board, until it gets on your hand. Then I personally take a big knife and put it under the cake and then drop it on to the cake. It pulls the frosting on the bottom where the knife comes out, but a border will fix that right up.

I think some people actually get the tier onto the next tier by just sliding it on with the bigger cake board.

I hope this makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%