Fondant Covered Cake Board

Decorating By GrammyT Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm by metria

GrammyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GrammyT Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:07pm
post #1 of 11

Looking for instructions for covering a cake board in fondant? Does the fondant come up with the cake slices when served? If not, how is it avoided?

Thanks,

Tonya

10 replies
rltmeng Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rltmeng Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:16pm
post #2 of 11

Hi Tonya,

I cover the board with piping gel so the fondant can adhere to it. Some of it may come up when it is sliced and served. Not sure how to get around that one.

Lisa

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:16pm
post #3 of 11

Typically, I would spread some piping gel onto the cakeboard and then cover the board with the fondant (piping gel helps the fondant to stick to the board).

Don't forget that when you place your cake in the center of the board, it should be sitting on its own cakeboard so the cake doesn't actually touch the fondant.

HTH

Stacey

dsilvest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsilvest Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:22pm
post #4 of 11

Once the fondant is attached to the board I let it sit for a few days to dry a bit. It does not get fingerprint dents this way and it is easier to transfer the cake to.

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 11

usually if the fondant is correctly stuck and left to dry, when you come to serve, you shouldnt get too much come away.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:08pm
post #6 of 11

I roll the fondant directly onto the foamboard. It sticks without adding anything extra. Because of how I cover my cakes, I always use a board cut to just the size of my cake, or even a tiny bit smaller, and then the cake and board go onto a bigger board, so none of the fondant on the board comes up when the cake is served.

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:14pm
post #7 of 11

I always cover my board at least one week in advance. This way it's very dry and stiff. I don't have to worry about it getting damaged during delivery or leaving marks in it as I assemble the cake.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 11

how do you attach a ribbon around the sides of the board? was never sure how people got those to stick...

jjkarm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jjkarm Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:09pm
post #9 of 11

double stick tape.....

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 11

Or hot glue or pretty pearl-head pins.

metria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
metria Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 8:31pm
post #11 of 11

aaah ty! you guys rock ... i'm going to try it on my next cake