Covering A Cake Dummy

Decorating By tootie0809 Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm by tootie0809

tootie0809 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tootie0809 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 6

Okay what do you use to hold your cake dummy in place when icing it and covering it in fondant? They are so light that they just slide all over my counter and turntable. I've tried taping it with packing tape on the bottom....didn't work. I've seen where some use upside down screws from some sort of a turntable, but I have no idea how they rigged this. I have a Wilton turntable and don't know how I'd insert upside down screws into it. I'm getting ready to start making a ton of dummy cakes, but this whole process of covering and icing them is making me nuts!

5 replies
__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 6

Well, I don't ice if putting on fondant. I rub Crisco all over it, and flip the fondant right on. The weight of the fondant now at this point keeps it still enough.

TitiaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TitiaM Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:02pm
post #3 of 6

for icing a buttercream dummy I put nails in a board then set that on my turntable--its somewhat problematic getting them off though--maybe straws in the dummy? For fondant cakes, no icing, just mist with water or use crisco, or thinned piping gel--whatever so the fondant sticks.

tootie0809 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:49pm
post #4 of 6

Great tips! Thank you so much!

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:56pm
post #5 of 6

there is an actual turntable to use when icing dummies.

tootie0809 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaBa

there is an actual turntable to use when icing dummies.

Really? Can you tell me what it is or where to find it? Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%