For Those Of You That Use Edible Images...

Business By saberger Updated 25 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm by CakeDiva73

saberger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saberger Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #1 of 18

For those of you that use EI's in your biz, how do you calculate your cost of ink into it? I have figured out how many images I get per sheet and how much each sheet is, but I am stumped in how to figure an amount for the ink. Obviously each picture is different and one might use a lot of red or black....but I don't do enough on a steady basis to be able to determine how many sheets I can print for each cartridge.

Has anyone figured this out?

TIA

17 replies
saberger Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:37am
post #2 of 18

bump

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:39am
post #3 of 18

Nah. I just charge $10 each.

3 EIs buys the pack of icing sheets and 6 more pays for the ink set. I know I get more than 9 from an ink cartridge + icing sheet pack.

Well, that wasn't very scientific.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:50am
post #4 of 18

I don't really charge extra because the time it saves me from having to do handmade art is worth the money I paid for the ink and paper.

saberger Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:53pm
post #5 of 18

$10 a sheet?! Wow! I was only going to charge $5. I figured each page costs me less than a dollar, so I guess the rest can go towards the expense of the ink?

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:15am
post #6 of 18

Um, the icing sheet ALONE costs me $1 - not counting the ink. I do factor in the 'easiness' of the sheets but then the added overhead of the freaking expensive as all HECK ink (&sheets). When I created my flyers for holidays, I anticipating charging $3.25 for cookies made with EI as opposed to $2.95 for those using cheap (but time consuming handmade RI details.)

summernmicah99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernmicah99 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 4:59am
post #7 of 18

Most bakeries and grocery stores charge $5.00 per image. I don't mind paying that amount, but would not be willing to pay $10.00 for an image. A buck a sheet and four bucks for ink, machine and power useage is very reasonable. JMO!

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:03am
post #8 of 18

For my epsom the cartridge says enough ink for up to 30 pages, the refill ink says can refill up to 4 times. So I figured how much the initial cartridge, plus the refill will print up to 150 sheets, figure the price plus shipping for that many sheets with the ink and divided it by 150 gives me my cost per sheet including the ink. I know it will vary like you said some pictures use more of a particular color than others but it gives you an average, so if your cost per sheet with ink and shipping is $2.60 and you can get 10 images on it for cookies your additional cost is .26cents per cookie.

CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 5:30am
post #9 of 18

I am not trying to argue but I think that ink usage claims need to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't believe you get as much as they say you do. I think you should factor in a certain percentage (maybe 20%) on variable consumption.

I also don't know what image you can get 10 of on a sheet. Mine are smaller (once the icing 'sheet' is taken into consideration) so instead of 8.5 x 11 they are actually only 7 ish x 10 ish, and if you have pre-fab 2 inch circles, even less - maybe 6? 8?

I would just hate to see you cutting yourself short, that's all. $5 is cheap, maybe $10 is kinda pricey (for my area), $8 is what the local supermarket sells them for.......but $2.60 INCLUDING s/h is pure madness.

If that is what you charge, I am selling my Epson on Ebay and ordering everything thru you from now on because you are somehow printing and shipping it for cheaper then I can....... just sayin' icon_smile.gif

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:09am
post #10 of 18

Just call around and check what the local prices are. In my area they run about $7.00 a sheet.

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 9:13am
post #11 of 18

Dairy Queen around the corner from me charges 5.99 per sheet (rice paper) not per image, so if I can get 10 images on one sheet I still only pay 5.99...

saberger Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 12:51pm
post #12 of 18

Good info everyone. Thank you! I calculated that each sheet costs me 85 cents. I get 9 images off of each sheets for most of my cookies that I use it for. So the rest of the $5 would go towards the ink and refill. It seems like I am on the right track then.

CakeDiva - I guess it really does depend where you are located and how much your sheets are. When I was ordering them online, I ended up paying $1.56 for each sheet. Then I found Sam's Club! Whoo-hoo!!

cookiemama2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemama2 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:08pm
post #13 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by zdebssweetsj

Just call around and check what the local prices are. In my area they run about $7.00 a sheet.

Wow i paid alot more than that from my grocery store ... it was well over $10 and it wasn't very clear at all.

tripleD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripleD Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 1:23pm
post #14 of 18

I use edible sheets alot but never thought about the cost if ink. I buy cartridge blanks and fill them myself. The cost is much cheaper I have a resetter chip to reset the cartridge after I refill. If I sell a image it usually figured in to the cake total price.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:00pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

I am not trying to argue but I think that ink usage claims need to be taken with a grain of salt. I don't believe you get as much as they say you do. I think you should factor in a certain percentage (maybe 20%) on variable consumption.

I also don't know what image you can get 10 of on a sheet. Mine are smaller (once the icing 'sheet' is taken into consideration) so instead of 8.5 x 11 they are actually only 7 ish x 10 ish, and if you have pre-fab 2 inch circles, even less - maybe 6? 8?

I would just hate to see you cutting yourself short, that's all. $5 is cheap, maybe $10 is kinda pricey (for my area), $8 is what the local supermarket sells them for.......but $2.60 INCLUDING s/h is pure madness.

If that is what you charge, I am selling my Epson on Ebay and ordering everything thru you from now on because you are somehow printing and shipping it for cheaper then I can....... just sayin' icon_smile.gif

op was asking how to figure her "cost" not what to charge. I gave the info on how I figured my actual cost. For cookies I can get quite a few ei's per page and yes it is 7 1/2 x 10. I made some 4x5 certificate cookies and only got 2 per sheet, the mini halloween eis that are in my gallery I was able to get 12 per sheet. Knowing my actual cost helps me figure out how much to charge.

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 2:14pm
post #16 of 18

My local supermarket or ice cream shop was charging $10 a sheet so I bought my own cannon, lot cheaper in the long run but I still charge $10 to my customers. Don't forget wear and tear on the printer

saberger Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 3:31pm
post #17 of 18

that's true about the wear and tear on the printer. Didn't think of that....see, it's those little things that come and bite you in the butt if you undercharge, right?!?!

CakeDiva73 Posted 25 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm
post #18 of 18

I'm sorry bbmom, I misread your post. I just looked at it and clearly see you were not referring to retail. icon_redface.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%