Best Cookie Dough

Baking By lolobell Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 9:23pm by bbmom

lolobell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lolobell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all!

I need your best cookie dough recipe... I need to make 6 dozen Halloween cookies for my daughters preschool.. I am decorating then with royal icing etc....it can be a sugar cookie or other white dough.. i want to roll them very thick and would love it if they held their shape during baking...
(any help with technique on making them hold shape etc would be greatly appreciated..)

thank you in advance for all of the recipes, help and advice that will be coming my way.. (just like always)!!!!!!!!!!!

Marianne

5 replies
Spuddysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spuddysmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:03pm
post #2 of 6

This is the recipe from Penny's Pastries:
1 cup salted butter
1 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 Tblsp whipping cream
2 Tblsp vanilla
1 tsp almond extract
3 cups unbleached flour
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder.

Preheat oven to 325. In a mixer combine butter and sugar. Add egg, cream, vanilla and almond extract all at once and thoroughly blend. In a separate bowl stir together flour and baking powder. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ones and blend. Roll out to a thickness of about 1/4 inch and cut with a cookie cutter. Bake on a greased cookie sheet 8 - 12 mins and cool on a rack.
(I cut the cream down to 1 Tblsp. You can experiment with different flavorings, too)

This makes a great cookie that stands up to my poor wrapping/mailing so it is tough but tasty! To ice, I use a glaze then accent with Antonia's Royal Icing on this site. Kids like it.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:12pm
post #3 of 6

We use Toba Garrett's.

Paul

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:17pm
post #4 of 6

Anything with the word "rolled" in it. Those recipes are designed to hold up to heavy decoration and don't spread.

Jopalis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jopalis Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #5 of 6

I also use Penny's Butter Cookies. Recipe above. They are great. I follow Antonia's tutorial and use her icing. I have heard some say they don't like the taste of NFSC as well but I haven't tried them. I'm happy with Penny's.... No problems with spread but I do the refrigeration of the dough and sheet prior to baking....

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 9:23pm
post #6 of 6

I use the NFSC recipe on all my cookies and you can see in my gallery that they all come out nice and sharp. I decrease the baking powder to 1/2teaspoon. They taste really good too. I use 1t vanilla nd 1t almond extract, use real butter. I roll about 1/4 to 3/8" thick andd usually get about 48 3-4" cookies per batch.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%