Cooked Sweetened Condensed Milk Questions...

Decorating By cocobean Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 5:15am by cocobean

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:20am
post #1 of 22

I tried cooking some scm tonight and now I have this thick sort or caramelly (is that a word) stuff. How can I use it on a cake and how do you store it until it is used? Do you put it between the layers of a cake or do you add it to something to make a frosting? icon_confused.gif

21 replies
SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:10am
post #2 of 22

If your result was a thick luscious caramel, then Congratulations! You have created Dulce de Leche!

You can use it as a filling, or you can mix it with buttercream, or as a sauce for cake or ice cream.

Or you can just eat it off a spoon!

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 8:56am
post #3 of 22

LOL - yes, you have successfully made Caramel.

As SugarFrosted said - Congratulations are in order. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

Jannie92869 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jannie92869 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #4 of 22

Is that all you put in the pot, just the can of milk you poured in? Trying to make caramel for apples so I was just wondering?

Magna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magna Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #5 of 22

After it has cooled off, you add 1 cup soft butter and whip it. It is a very common filling for cakes in Eastern Europe. It works great with sponge cakes as well as nut cakes.

robinleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinleah Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:59pm
post #6 of 22

I just used it for a 50th anniversary cake. I put a thin layer of the carmel on the cake as a filling them added some to the BC and put that on top as the final filling. Everyone loved it. The rest I used as a dip for apples for my daughter, put some on toast and yes I did it some just with my spoon. Now that it is all gone, I can't wait to make more just for us.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:17pm
post #7 of 22

I buy it ready made and use as is between my cake layers as a filling. Or as was said above... eat it off the spoon! icon_smile.gif

cocobean Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:36am
post #8 of 22

Thanks everyone those are good ideas!

Jannie, tha was all I did. Make sure you cook it on low and stir every so ofter with a heat proff rubber spatula. I ruined one batch by cooking on too high of a temp and leaving it too long. It burned and went all over my cook top! I don't think it would work for caramel apple covering only carmel apple dip.

Did anyone mention how long it could be stored before using it? Should it be refridgerated or not?

Magna, the butter whipped with it sounds good but sounds like it wouldn't be stiff enough. Would I have to worry about cake bludge?

cocobean Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:10am
post #9 of 22

1. o.k. I just tried a couple of things with it. I whipped 1 cube of salted butter (Magna's suggestion) and added the the homemade dulce de leche and whipped again. It actually tastes more like caramel now with the salted butter. I've put it in the fridge to see if it will stiffen up a little once the butter gets cold.

2. I also added some of the homemade dulce de leche to some vanilla butter cream. It made the bc a little grainy. The flavor was o.k. but I didn't like the grainy texture it made.

3. I also tried just the plain homemade dulce de leche as filling in a vanilla cupcake and frosted with vanilla bc. I don't think I care for the plain homemade dulce de leche with the cake. Without the butter it's too sticky and still tastes more like just thickened sweetened condensed milk not so much like caramel. (Thats just me).

So far for me, I liked the taste of the first experiment best.

Always fun to learn something new! icon_smile.gif Thanks again everyone!

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:48am
post #10 of 22

I have to put a caramel filling in a cake next month for the first time, so I'm pleased I read this post, thanks!!

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:56pm
post #11 of 22

I just cook mine in the can! You have to remember to keep the water topped up, but other than that in it goes. I cook it on a slow boil for 3.5 - 4 hrs to get really firm yummy caramel for banoffee pie. Obviously if you want it a bit runnier then less time is needed. No mess! icon_smile.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:05pm
post #12 of 22

Man you are making me hungry!! Now I have to go to the store and buy some! icon_biggrin.gif

TexasSugar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 22

At Walmart for a few more cents than the can of condensed milk you can get already made Dulce de Leche. I find it in the Ethinic aisle and it is made by Nestles.

I love the premade one, it is thick and yummy and no work for me. I just open the can and use. No cooking, no cooling.

Magna Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:21pm
post #14 of 22

I have never had a problem with bulging, but as I use it for cakes that I tort in many thin layers, so I use the caramel in very thin layers as well.

cocobean Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:10pm
post #15 of 22

Magna, do you have a good recipe for the sponge cake and the nut cake that you use? Would you be willing to share? icon_razz.gif

Also, TexasSugar, do you find the Dulce de Leche made by Nestle tastes more like caramel or does it taste just like the homemade ddl, just really thick sweetened condensed milk? icon_confused.gif It doesn't taste caramelly enough (to me) until I whip it with the salted butter.

TexasSugar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 6:54pm
post #16 of 22

While it (both the premade and homemade versions) are like caramel, they won't have the exact same taste as caramel. If you truely love the caramel taste you may want to look into a caramel recipe that can be converted to a filling.

I love the taste of dulce de leche. It is very sweet, but has that caramalized flavor to me. Of course we all have different taste buds and like different things.

The can at my Walmart is $2.04. Might be worth buying and trying for youself.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 7:19pm
post #17 of 22

I didn't see where anyone answered your question about how long it lasts, so I figured I'd pipe in here. As long as you keep it in the unopened can, you can keep it in your pantry practically for ever. Once opened, you will want to refrigerate it. I have kept it for a couple months in the fridge without it changing. Not sure how long it will actually last since I usually use it up pretty quickly. I made it once using on the of restaurant size cans, and used it as a filling for caramel apple tarts. That's the only reason I know it will last for a while in the fridge. I can't keep the little cans in stock! lol

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 9:22pm
post #18 of 22

[quote="stsapph"] As long as you keep it in the unopened can, you can keep it in your pantry practically for ever.

I used to find that was the case, but the Nestle brand I like to use doesn't keep that long any more once it's boiled (in Australia anyway.) If you leave it for more than a few weeks it gets large sugar crystals in it. It's so frustrating, I used to like to always have a couple of cans on hand, but now I have to cook to order. Not sure if they changed their recipe or if it has to do with the ring top pull can. icon_cry.gif

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:12pm
post #19 of 22

yeah, it probably has to do with the new top. I can see that causing an issue. With the other cans, nothing can get in there to mess with it. The pull top probably allows air to get in there that will cause the crystallization. icon_sad.gif Haven't had a need to make it in a while, I wonder if they've changed the cans here...

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #20 of 22

The pull top cans are not considered to be watertight.

FEMA recommends any that come into contact with contaminated waters (such as flood waters) must be discarded.

Magna Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 12:29am
post #21 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cocobean

Magna, do you have a good recipe for the sponge cake and the nut cake that you use? Would you be willing to share? icon_razz.gif

I am happy to share. These are very basic recipes.
Basic Sponge Cake
3 medium eggs, separated
3 tbsp sifted powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence or any other flavor
3 tbsp sifted flour

Place egg yolks and sugar in a mixer bowl and beat until the mixture becomes light yellow. Then add vanilla, mix and then fold in flour. In a separate clean bowl beat egg whites until they form stiff peaks, gently fold the egg whites into the other mixture. Bake in 8 inch pan at 350 F until very light brown (about 20 min). I double the recipe to bake in two pans. After the cake cools off you can cut each layer in half or leave us is and bake more layers. I like 4 layers.

Nut Cake
It is made in similar fashion. Follow the steps above for mixing and baking. Here are two variations, except these are baked in two 8 inch pans:
(1) 4 eggs, 5 tbsp powdered sugar, 2 tbsp sifted flour, 2 tbsp ground hazelnuts
(2) 4 eggs, 5tbsp powdered sugar, 2 tbsp ground almonds, and 2 tbsp ground walnuts.
Both nut cakes taste well with chocolate buttercream and mocha buttercream. As I mentioned earlier they also taste great with caramel filling. Sometimes I like to add ground nuts to my caramel filling.
These recipes make thin layers; do not expect these cakes to rise to the top of the pan.

cocobean Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 5:15am
post #22 of 22

Wow Magna, those recipes sound really unique. I don't think I have ever made a cake like it. I can't wait to try! Thanks sooo much for sharring! icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gificon_cool.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%