Procrastinating On Cakes

Decorating By Texas_Rose Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm by cakesweetiecake

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #1 of 19

I used to be very good about getting everything done in advance. I would cut the cake boards and make the gumpaste decorations a week in advance, make the fondant a couple days early, etc...

Lately I leave everything to the last minute. My husband says it's because I'm getting burned out, but I think it might be because I know exactly how long everything will take, and that it will work the way I planned it, so I don't need to do it early to make sure it will work.

What's your method? Do you procrastinate too?

18 replies
Ursula40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ursula40 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:14am
post #2 of 19

YEP!!!

And sometimes it bites me in the butt

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:15am
post #3 of 19

I procrastinate, but not just with cakes. I procrastinate with pretty much everything. I think it started in HS with being so busy with doing a gazillion extra curricular activities that everything always ended up begin done at the last moment. Then it got worse in college when I realized I could wait until the night before a term paper was due, pull an all-nighter to write the paper, and still get a high B or an A on it. That quickly became my estabilished paper writing procedure. Now, I pretty much do everything that way. Not the best way to live, I'll admit, rather stressful. It's something I've been fighting with for a long time now. Having addicting websites like CC doesn't help, either! icon_lol.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:19am
post #4 of 19

You're right about that! Between CC and playing Bejeweled on facebook, I'm having some serious time management issues icon_biggrin.gif

I have a cake due Saturday and I have done nothing for it so far. Not even the gumpaste bow which I have to paint zebra stripes on.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:25am
post #5 of 19

Naughty naught! icon_wink.gif

poohsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
poohsmomma Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:38am
post #6 of 19

Bejeweled! Yeah, that can keep me occupied for hours!
I'm a born procrastinator-comes from my dad.

cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:37pm
post #7 of 19

This is so funny! I am a recovering procrastinator so I totally understand where you are coming from. Texas_rose do you have any help? Maybe you could hire someone to prepare you cake boards to help you out some.

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:53pm
post #8 of 19

Oh boy, I've never seen a post that hit so close to home!!! That's ME all over again - I do pretty good work (like writing papers, most anything) under pressure, but it's killing me!!!!!!!!!!! As I write, I have 2 cakes that are finally crumb coated, both are supposed to be delivered by 1:00 this afternoon. Fortunately, 1 is for a party tomorrow night and ist's for a good friend, so I bought some time there. But I could have my rear in a really bigger sling than it already is right now! I hate surprising myself with "Oh yeah - cut and cover the boards first!" when I know very well it should have been done days ago. This is really no way to live - I think you organized, precise, well-planned people are probably even morally superior to thsoe of us who float on chaos! We could use some HELP!!!! (Now ask - whyam I here on CC when you have that much to do.... icon_cry.gif

sweettooth88 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth88 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:29pm
post #9 of 19

Texas_Rose we are one in the same. I am addicted to bejewled and cc...not to mention I have a full time job and go to school full time so when it comes to my cakes its allways rush rush to get done!!!

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 19

I've always been bad at procrastinating when it comes to everything!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:48pm
post #11 of 19

I am a horrible procrastinator, and it really sucks! Several weeks ago I had a cake due on a weekend that I had some really important things going on, so I did everything in advance, and it was heavenly. I've done half a dozen cakes since then and as usual, put everything off and underestimated how long everything would take and ended up hating being rushed and staying up for 24 straight hours.

I don't know why I do it to myself when I KNOW how much easier things would be if I practiced effective time management.

Between Farm Town and Bejeweled, I just shoot myself in the foot!!

ARGH!!!!!!

Flintstone691961 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Flintstone691961 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:07pm
post #12 of 19

procrastinators Unite....tivo is killing me...to many shows to keep up with....

cycloria Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cycloria Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 19

icon_lol.gif Wow! It's like I'm reading my diary! I keep saying I'm going to pray about changing my proscatinating ways... but I never get around to it!!!

The thing is I know I could do a better job on my cakes if I wasn't so rushed!

I have a cake due Saturday... guess I'll get started today on the flowers icon_razz.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:58pm
post #14 of 19

I've got 2 cakes due saturday and I haven't even baked them yet. I sit her and say............I had 6 cakes last week and got THEM all done, what's the rush??? lol Terrible!! Not to mention I'm teaching, yes a novice teaching others (crazy I know) a cake decorating class, just basics in buttercream (icing/smoothing cake, filling piping bag, roses, shell borders) but I haven't prepared ANYTHING!!!

Uniqueask Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Uniqueask Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:19pm
post #15 of 19

Ok, I thought it was only me, Did you guys come and visit me, how do you know me so well, LOL I am the biggest procrastinator, there is, and I think it is rubbing off on my older daughter, Hell all three of my kids, and that is bad, I am suppose to be making cakes for my portfolio, and to start a website, and nothing, everyday excuse, oh, who am I going to give them to, what am I going to do with them. and things like that, I bought Tonedna's stargazer lilly tutorial, and every day I said I was going to work on them, and I didn't until yesterday, and that is because Nannie bought the dvd after me, and posted three flowers, so I got jealous, or should I say inspiration and started mine yesterday, I had the Dvd for a month, I got approved to sell cakes, from home, by my code enforcement agency I went before the board, I spoke to my HD and he told me to call the Dept of Agri, and which class of permit to apply for and yet again I didn't call, talk about a procrastinator. Help me guys,

And I too am always on here and on facebook playing farmville, if any of you play farmville, I am looking for neighbours PM me and I will give you my name I don not have a lot of friends, My kids are my friends.

chelseak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelseak Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:35pm
post #16 of 19

Procrastination is my life icon_smile.gif I am so bad! I have a cake for tomorrow, red velvet cake, hot pink zebra with high heels, a stiletto, lips and other 'stuff'. Haven't even started yet. Oh wait I lied, I covered the board. Saturday, a Halloween cake. Haven't started anything, except for the board. I agree with the tivo statement, there are WAAAAAAY to many shows on right now! Also the 10 month old doesn't help either. Who knew babies took up so much time?! icon_smile.gif Ha Ha Just Kidding.

My life would benefit from some organizational skills. icon_smile.gif

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #17 of 19

yeah, i have started doing this recently - used to do al my baking and figure making on saturday and sundauy but recently im leaving baking til monday and figure making to the beginning of the week and im just not organised in the same way - i used to have a freezer load of cakes for extra orders and now im too lazy to bake much more than i need at a time and i used to have bows, gift tags, all decorations, figures ect made sometimes a couple of weeks in advance, think now im getting more orders im a bit more tired and can spend the same prep time as i used too...

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:50pm
post #18 of 19

yeah, i have started doing this recently - used to do al my baking and figure making on saturday and sundauy but recently im leaving baking til monday and figure making to the beginning of the week and im just not organised in the same way - i used to have a freezer load of cakes for extra orders and now im too lazy to bake much more than i need at a time and i used to have bows, gift tags, all decorations, figures ect made sometimes a couple of weeks in advance, think now im getting more orders im a bit more tired and can spend the same prep time as i used too...

cakesweetiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesweetiecake Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 4:19pm
post #19 of 19

I am glad that I am not alone. I am the worst procrastinator ever! LOL! I am really trying to get better.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%