Customer Trying To Pay Less By Asking For Picture?

Decorating By three_sets_of_twins Updated 24 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm by Country_girrl

three_sets_of_twins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
three_sets_of_twins Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:30pm
post #31 of 42

shes weird and cheap and a pain in my fat white a**!!!
So she called and asked for the photo, again. I told her I dont send photos and they are exactly like the other ones I showed her (the ones on a tray) but they have a pop and are in a box.
She then asks me if I can add her name to the monogrammed label I attached. I told her no, sorry, its too late I already printed and attached. Then she asks if I can just make ANOTHER label and put her name on it. (she wants it to read: this is your gift fromt he sister of the bride) I said no, Sorry, you should have told me before.
THEN she calls me back asking if I can just print the labels out for her and she cut it and she will pay me for the paper and ink. Ok fine all I have to do is click a button.
Keep in mind now every single time I have dealt with her I have ASKED her about delivery, and she has always said no. She will pick it up.

So now she calls me. Can you deliver it?
I said no I cant. You told me you were going to pick it up. I have small kids, my husband is out of the country, and there is no way I can deliver these to you Im sorry.
Waaa waaa please.
I said dont you have a friend or someone who can come get it?
She said no cos theyre all from out of town and so is she.
She then said she would pay my cab fair and even a sitter for me to drop them off. I told her I'd call her back.
But Im not dropping them off. Its her problem not mine. Im going to call her when im good and ready and tell her I couldnt find a cab, and she will have to send someone for it. CLICK.
Never working with her again.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:43pm
post #32 of 42

What a royal pain in the A$$. I'd charge her a rush fee for the added labels and aggravation.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:44pm
post #33 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by three_sets_of_twins

On this side of the globe contracts really arent done...I dont know why? They should be. So I feel if i were to introduce something like that people would not order from me and go to the other home bakers who dont do them. The other home bakers dont even take a downpayment, but that is something ive started insisting on. (And even that has got me less orders when they are told they have to come to my house twice, once to pay, once to pick up order).

It's time to start pretending you live somewhere else.
Basic contract terms should definitely be considered, especially for any large order such as this. By basic, I mean things like these:
non-refundable deposit
payment in full by a certain date or no product
no changes made after a certain date
delivery fees where applicable
There are other contract terms that I could suggest, but there are contract templates here on CC that you can refer to.

Now, think about this. If this woman keeps changing the amount of product ordered to cut her costs, what makes you think she's actually going to pay for your cab and sitter? She'll probably write you a bad check, or put a stop on it right after she hands it to you.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

three_sets_of_twins Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 4:53pm
post #34 of 42

Can Iplease have the link to that contract thing?
Thats it screw it, I dont care if they never call back. From now on with orders Im asking for their email addresses and the contracts will be sent to them via email. With those points that you mentioned above. Or they can come pick it up.
Well I called her and told her I couldnt find a driver, but just incase, (cos I really want the rest of my money) I did book a cab. I then called her again and when I told her what the cab +rush fee would be, she CHANGED HER MIND and miraculously out of the blue she finds someone who can come pick up the order. So I cancel cab. She asks me for all the directions to my home, (wait shes on the phone ) *what the hell why is she complaining to me to hurry? Ive been done for 5 hours?) UGH anyway. she sends this guy over to a well known landmark near my home.
He just called me from the landmark so I'll give him some easy directions.

her payment is going to be cash, Im going to send my cleaning lady out with the order. Ive already told her to just take out 1 box, (the smallest one,) give the man a copy of the bill, GET THE MONEY, then bring the rest of the order out to the car. This stuff aint leaving my house until that money is COUNTED in my hand.

Oh well. Waiting. He should be here soon.

three_sets_of_twins Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:09pm
post #35 of 42

Ok. Cash in hand. Order gone. Thank GOD. NEVER again.
Hope I dont get any more drama dont think I can take it!

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:17pm
post #36 of 42

First, I am very glad you got your money!!

Second, where exactly are you located?

Third, definitely time to start having contracts, regardless if that's what everyone else does or not. You need to protect yourself. For the clients that complain, tell them this is to protect them as well, so they get their cakes, trays, etc. exactly as they ordered them. Who knows, maybe you'll be a trendsetter and the other bakers in your area will realize how smart it is and start doing them, too.

Danielle1218 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danielle1218 Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #37 of 42

OMG....I feel awful for you. This lady is obviously a wack-job.

Kinda reminds me of that psycho on Cake Boss that ruined the wedding cake Buddy made for her....you know, the rich snot who thought everyone should drop what they are doing and cater to her...

Definately....remove this lady from your client list. YIKES!!!

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:34pm
post #38 of 42

Well, I sure hope this is the last you hear from her. I think I'd even let her "Everything-was-great" call go to voicemail!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 10:50pm
post #39 of 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbycathy

Second, where exactly are you located?

The OP (wife of a Major in the military) lives in the Middle East in a country where women are not allowed to drive cars.............I think that tells you a lot about how hard it is to run a business, let alone enforce contracts. I doubt that many of the customers she has are even American or European.

The attitudes in that area of the world toward doing business are so different from here, you wouldn't believe it. Every transaction is a sort of game, where the buyer seems to assume they are always being taken advantage of, so they haggle over prices, often starting at less than half the asking price. Buyers often expect upgrades or the ability to change an order at no cost and can be very harsh towards sellers if demands aren't met. That said, deals are usually respected, but it's often seems as if both the buyer and seller should be unhappy about the amount of $ exchanged.............

Very, very challenging and different.
Rae

three_sets_of_twins Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:47am
post #40 of 42

Rae you sound very familiar with how things work here, Have you been to the middle east at any point?
Im still going to start this contract thing, even if its just in a email where everything is stated and signed by me ALONE. Maybe if it has the word "contract" in it that will hold some weight to it. A lot of my customers dont have emails though so then I'll sms them the "contract" automatically after their inquiery.
Havent heard back from her but no news is good news, and even if she does call for the "thank you" it's going to voice mail!!

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:19pm
post #41 of 42

Yes, I've been fortunate enough to travel in the Middle East and Asia.

I know that some people view haggling as fun, but for me, it's unbearable. I shop by price and I have no desire to have even a small argument over pricing.
I'm deathly afraid of offending someone or confirming for them that I'm an "ugly American". So, I have bought almost nothing on those trips..........
If I see something I like, I ask the price and if it's outrageous (to me), I walk away. If it's acceptable, I just buy it (which apparently is also offensive to some sellers icon_eek.gif ).

I think you're very wise to let people know that you have expectations of them when they engage your services. I know that in that part of the world, "tough" people are respected. It may take awhile for customers to get used to it, especially from a woman, but in the long run, at least you won't have to worry about the outcome of every order.

All the best & happy decorating!
Rae

Country_girrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Country_girrl Posted 24 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #42 of 42

Good to know that all the "nuts" are spread evenly across the world. However, I must live in a highly populated "nut" farm.

Sorry to hear you have one too. LOL, lesson learned though...may better clients come your way!!!

You make the most beautiful cake balls/favors that I have seen!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%