Tiramisu

Decorating By gladysrdz24 Updated 2 Nov 2009 , 3:56am by kjgjam22

gladysrdz24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gladysrdz24 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:53pm
post #1 of 8

How do you package Tiramisu if you are selling it. How much do you sell it for. Is a 10" round by 3" high for $30.00 too little? I made it once to sell at the bakery once and now Im getting requests. But Im not sure how to package it since it so soft. TFTH.

7 replies
gladysrdz24 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:45pm
post #2 of 8

help?

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:26pm
post #3 of 8

I am actually making one tonight for my nephew's birthday. I am making in in a glass (pyrex) 9x13 pan that comes with a lid so that I can transport it the 8 hours to his house. If I were to sell one, I'd probably do it in the foil disposable 9x13 pans with plastic lids that you can get at the supermarket. I'd charge at least $50 and very likely $75 (they go for around $5-$8 for an approx 3"x3" piece at restaurants, so that's around $60-$100).

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:47am
post #4 of 8

What did you use when making it? I've made one where I used a cream cheese filling and whipped cream for icing. Does the $30 even cover what you put into it???

gladysrdz24 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:28am
post #5 of 8

I make the kind that has cream cheese pudding and whip cream.

This is my list:

Prices are approximate

Lady Fingers 4.00
Cream Cheese 2.00
Pudding 2.00
Milk 2.00
Whipped topping 2.00
Coffee 2.00

Ive seen online that some companies use wraps sort of like the ones that are used when bread is baked in them.

Since this is for retail sale rather than homebaked I would like to have a fair price and not give it away for "free"

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:38am
post #6 of 8

Wow, lots cheaper than mine!
I don't know what the prices of everything is off the top of my head, but my recipe uses:
marscarpone cheese
whipping cream
6 egg yolks
granulated sugar
powdered sugar
marsala wine
espresso (I use an instant powder)
cocoa powder
lady fingers (I usually make my own, but if I'm in a rush or feeling lazy, I'll buy them)

And it's time consuming to make, especially if I make the lady fingers as I have to make the sponge batter, pipe the fingers, bake them and let them cool.
For the filling, I have to cook the granulated sugar and egg yolks together in a bain marie to make zabaglione. Let that cool to room temp, then add in room temp marscarpone cheese and blend together. Chill this custard completely. Make whipped cream. Fold some of the whipped cream into the custard to lighten it and the rest of the whipped cream I sweeten with the powdered sugar. Make espresso, mix with the marsala, brush that onto the lady fingers, layer lady fingers and the custard, top with whipped cream and cocoa powder.

And that's just for the traditional one. I make a strawberry version, too, that's even more involved because it has fresh sliced strawberries, fresh orange juice and orange zest, and macerating of the fruit.

icon_smile.gif

gladysrdz24 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:10am
post #7 of 8

Mine is not that involved at all so thats what I like about it. I always let them know that this is not the original tirmamisu that this is sort of simpler version but it is still very yummy. We will see what happens.

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 2 Nov 2009 , 3:56am
post #8 of 8

I make mine in a springform pan....but i switch out the bottom of the pan and put in a cake circle...that way I dont have to move it after. Put it in a box. I also slice it and put it in the disposable clam shells. cant help you with cost though sorry.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%