I Need Advice - Sick & I Have 2 Big Cakes For This Weeke

Business By mom2spunkynbug Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm by madgeowens

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:58pm
post #1 of 9

I don't know what I'm going to do! One cake is for Friday night & the other is for Saturday afternoon. I woke up feeling REALLY bad today. Took the kids to the dr & they're on antibiotics (thank goodness no flu!)...my whole body aches, throat hurts, got the chills.....and I'm a home business with no one to help me! icon_cry.gif

I guess I'd just better suck it up & get started now! icon_sad.gif

8 replies
ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #2 of 9

I always worry that I will be to sick to do a cake when the kids have a bug. Make a game plan and allow for lots of breaks. Bake, take a break, ice, take a break, etc... Pace yourself, Im sure you can do it.

Best of luck and get well soon.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 9

i would call the 2 clients for these 2 cakes.. and ask them what THEY want you to do.. i am sorry you feel so bad... hope you feel better.. know you don,t feel like doing them.. but they might want someone else to make these cakes. even though you say it isn,t the flu... you say your throat is sore and you are aching, and chills.. just a thought...

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #4 of 9

Mom,
I'm so... sorry you feel so bad, Don't forget the chicken soup! Do you have any caker friends that can help you with any or all of the work.

Since I am a single owner operator, I learned long ago to plan way..... ahead for just such an event. I hooked up with others that I liked their work and their flavors (basically match up to mine) and we help each other out. When for whatever reason I can't do a job, I call on the others. I give them all but 15% and they do everthing including delivery under my name.

We don't loose customers, don't get overwhelmed and on thoe days when we are sooo sick we have each other to lean on.

I hope you feel better soon.

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:16pm
post #5 of 9

Oh no, I hope you don't have the flu!!

Well, a couple of months ago, I ended up having pneumonia and I had to cancel 3 cakes I had for the weekend. I just didn't want my customers to get infected.

But, whatever choice you make; make sure you get plenty of rest and I hope you feel better!! icon_smile.gif

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:27pm
post #6 of 9

It sounds like you might have the flu. I just got over it. Our doc didn't test for it because he said the test gives a false negative half the time so it's a waste of money (he's like that). My husband and one of my daughters had to have antibiotics to get over a little something else they developed after the flu had gone.

I had to bake for the school fair while I had the flu...I wore gloves and a mask because I didn't want to make anyone sick but when I told them I had the flu and wasn't sure I could bake they said they'd be happy to have an equivalent amount of cakes and cupcakes from the grocery store...well, I couldn't afford that, especially since I had already bought all the stuff, so I went ahead and baked. The worst thing about it was that my arms were so sore I could barely squeeze the piping bag.

Anyhow, I hope you feel better soon!

HBcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HBcakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:36pm
post #7 of 9

I really feel for you...I've had it happen a couple times...last year in August I had one of my biggest events ever with a 3D car cake as well as a 5 tier anniversary cake for the same event. Toward the end of the week as I finished the car I started feeling bad. It was Friday night and they were both due Sat afternoon. I started throwing up that evening and was so weak and dizzy I could barely function. I just worked fast, and not as neat & clean as usual, then layed down for spurts of 15-30 minutes after every little step. I worked well into the night to get it to where I knew I could get done on time the next day. Saturday morning I already felt somewhat better and as the day wore on I was able to work more & more at once. Just do whatever you can to get uninterrupted time, so you have freedom to work and lie down as you need it, until you know you can finish. Good luck!! I know it's really difficult but just do your best--maybe you could cancel one or the other (easier said than done, I know!).

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:47pm
post #8 of 9

Where are you located? Maybe some CCers nearby could help you out?

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:10pm
post #9 of 9

I understand...........I have been ill since September.......two cakes I had to do were just for me......but its toough to work thru chills, clammy and feeling faint.....try and get some help.......good luck

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%