Can I Do This? Brownie & Cake

Decorating By kaddikakes Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 1:50pm by Peridot

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #1 of 10

I have an idea to make a white cake with a brownie middle - instead of a filling. What I don't know is should I bake the browie right on top of the cake or bake it separate? Also, do you think I should use a little bit of filling on top of the browies to make it moist? I welcome all ideas. icon_smile.gif

9 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 10

1 - you should bake them separately. The brownie batter and the cake batter have different amounts of moisture, and therefore have different baking times.

2 - Yes, with all that cake and brownie, you should definitely use some kind of frosting in between. I would use a whipped chocolate ganache.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:22pm
post #3 of 10

There is a cake on this site where they used a cookie as a layer and used one cake - torted.

cake
filling
cookie
filling
cake

So why couldn't you use the brownie in place of the cookie? The cookie was baked in the same size pan as the cake was. Does this help any? I was going to try the cookie/cake thing next weekend but now that you said that about the brownie - hummmm - maybe I will do that instead. EXCELLENT IDEA!!!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 10

I've done it and it's delicious!!! I bake the brownie in a slightly smaller pan than the cakes though for instance 9" cake, 8" brownie because when you stack them it allows you to put a rim around the cake like you would for filling, besides the sides of the brownie are usually crustier than cake and I think by adding that extra icing rim around the brownie layer helps to soften the outer edge of the brownie more (because it absorbs moisture from the icing) HTH

Peridot Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #5 of 10

KHalstead,
How many layers of brownies do you use? Do you make the brownie layer thin - like the half of a torted 2" cake? Or maybe you don't torte your cake layer.

Are you saying that you put a dam on the cake layer and then lay the brownie in on the inside of the ring (dam)?

kaddikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaddikakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:47pm
post #6 of 10

I'm excited to try this - this weekend. I'm going to do this for my final cake for Wilton Course 1. Thanks for all the tips and ideas. I'll post when I'm done.

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:57pm
post #7 of 10

I have done this many times and it is an amazing flavor, texture combination! I especially get rave reviews with my Banana Fanana/Brownie combo.

I bake the brownie in a larger pan than the actual cake so I can trim the sides as they get crusty. I do bake separately. I make it as thick as the cake layer (1") so that it stacks just the same as the rest of the cake. I make it a three-layer cake: cake, brownie, cake. I don't use more than one layer as then it is over-the-top. It is super-fun and you will love the look of surprise on those who are lucky enough to get to eat it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peridot

KHalstead,
How many layers of brownies do you use? Do you make the brownie layer thin - like the half of a torted 2" cake? Or maybe you don't torte your cake layer.

Are you saying that you put a dam on the cake layer and then lay the brownie in on the inside of the ring (dam)?

Actually, I do it backwards......I put the brownie on and then pipe the dam around it.

I use one layer of brownie that's about 1 1/2" thick I'd say and I put icing on the cake, then brownie, pipe the dam around the brownie, frost the top of the brownie and then add more cake. Generally I do torte but not when I fill with the brownie HTH

andpotts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andpotts Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 6:08am
post #9 of 10

Man do I love this site, you guys are so full of ideas, brownie layer is now high on my list, can't wait to try this one, I've done lots of cookie layers now!

Peridot Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:50pm
post #10 of 10

Yes indeed I am going to do this brownie thing for Halloween! That sounds sooooo good I cannot wait to try this.

Hope I get an answer to this - when doing the brownie/cake thing - how do you decorate it? Do you put the Kit-Kats around it with the M&M's on top or do you just ice it. Suggestions or hints on what you do with this would be apprecaited.

I am thinking that maybe the candy bars and the M&M's would be too much and would take away from the combination of flavors.

Do you use chocolate cake with the brownie?

I want some right now - I am so hungry - should have eaten more for breakfast than yogurt!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%