Anyone Use The Food Saver To Vaccuum Seal Cookies?

Baking By LesGateauxCheri Updated 25 Dec 2011 , 5:05pm by Cakery2012

LesGateauxCheri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LesGateauxCheri Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 13

I bought a cheaper version of the food saver and it did not suck the air out of the bags - it only works with their brand bags. I'm wondering if the food saver will work with the treat bags? I have found that the cookies ship a lot better if they are vaccuum packed - prevents them from cracking and breaking during shipment.

Has anyone had any luck with that?

Thanks!

12 replies
doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:01am
post #2 of 13

Hi
I have a seal saver and use it for cookies. It does work wonders when shipping them. But I also use it to reseal my brown sugar and etc in its own bag and it works fine.
Hope that helped.

LesGateauxCheri Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:11am
post #3 of 13

Thanks doodledo,
So you are able to use it with the regular treat bags that you can buy at Michaels?
Thanks!

doodledo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodledo Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:21am
post #4 of 13

Not sure about that. I have sealed up brown sugar, their brand of bags, chips, and other stuff that I cant remember. I would say it depends on how thin or thick it is. To thin it might just melt into a glob.

DDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DDiva Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:36am
post #5 of 13

You can seal almost any type of plastic or foil bag.
The Foodsaver will only vacuum their type bags. You can buy a cheaper priced channel bag on eBay. I use mine almost everyday; and yes, I vacuum seal cookies for shipping.
HTH

LesGateauxCheri Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:39am
post #6 of 13

DDiva - what do you use for the cookies when you vacuum pack them? Do you just use regular party treat bags? When I tried those, it sealed it, but didn't vacuum seal it.

DDiva Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:46am
post #7 of 13

No, the Food Saver will only seal channel type bags.
When I ship decorative cookies, I put them in the cello bag and seal them. I then put several (depends on the size of the cookies) in a vacuum bag and gently vacuum seal it. Bubble wrap on the bottom of the box, around the sides and on top. They have always arrived intact...and fresh.

LesGateauxCheri Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:52am
post #8 of 13

Thanks!!!

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:13am
post #9 of 13

I was thinking of buying one to seal gumpaste and fondant. I think it would work great for that. Anyone use it for that also?

DDiva Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #10 of 13

Yep- it works great for that as well I sell fresh made gumpaste that I ship all over and I vacuum seal it. Stays nice and fresh for the longest!!

nikki6671 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki6671 Posted 3 Jun 2010 , 10:50am
post #11 of 13

I am using Vacuum Food Saver and i m using my life,,Yeah u can use Cookies in the food saver and that will be crispy for the long time period...i love mt food saver.. i can not live without it... icon_lol.gificon_smile.gif

lenie26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lenie26 Posted 25 Dec 2011 , 4:34pm
post #12 of 13

Would anyone share what model or make of vacuum or heat sealer has worked for them? I will be shipping decorated cookies and want to buy something that I know works. (I would like to put my cookies in and seal cello bags first, then vacuum seal several of the cello bags.)

icon_smile.gif

Cakery2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakery2012 Posted 25 Dec 2011 , 5:05pm
post #13 of 13

I have a food saver usually use it for frozen foods . Smacks self up.side of the head.......Why didnt I think.to seal gumpaste with it . Thanks for mentioning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%