Cake Decorating Gloves

Decorating By Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 1:44am by TheBlonde

Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tonias_Sweet_Shoppe_09 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:14pm
post #1 of 8

Hi there, I am looking for some decorating gloves. I went to wilton.com and saw the all-purpose decorating gloves but they no longer sell them. Is that because no one uses them or? I think they would be handy to use for rolling and handling fondant (coloring fondant). Also to keep you from having to wash your hands all the time and also for health reasons.

Anyways, I am looking for some. Anyone know where to get them? I am looking for the nice fitting ones, not the baggy ones that you use at a restaurant and everything that are like 2 times too big! Smile

Also, has anyone ever used the support gloves? They look like carpal tunnel wrist supports. Why is this? Are these for people who have arthritis and/or carpal tunnel? I feel like I am starting to get carpal tunnel in my left wrist. I think it is from holding my 25 pound 1 yr old daughter all the time. It gets old on the arm/wrist after a while. Just wondering what the general opinion was on these.

Thanks for any help and advice in finding these gloves! Tonia

7 replies
tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:26pm
post #2 of 8

double post (decorating glove)
You could check the medical supply store or web sites HTH

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:45pm
post #3 of 8

pharmacies and medical supply stores usually carry them. Take care to get latex free even if you're not latex intolerant...there may be some transference to cake, icing or decorations...also look for powder free for the same reasons as well as it can be an agitant.

Although I may require less hand washing when using gloves, I change gloves so often that it really isn't cost effective. You answer the phone, there's a pair, you stop to write something on your shopping list, there's a pair...them bad boys ain't cheap either. Hand washing is sooooooooooo much easier and less expensive.

I do see how it would be helpful to wear them for coloring fondant or if you have a skin condition or you got a bo bo (boo boo...uh oh...) or just had your nails done...

ETA: When answering the phone or stopping to write, if I remove the gloves, I wash my hands before putting on a new pair. For that reason, I try to remember to answer the phone/write with the gloves still on, then change out to a new pair without washing between the change.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 8

I use medical gloves....my skin gets really dry in the winter months and washing my hands that much would kill them. I also sliced two of my fingers really bad last night with my Agbay so they came in handy with my booboos icon_smile.gif

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:32pm
post #5 of 8

i get mine at a restaurant supply store, that way I know they are food safe. they do have ones that fit tighter they are just a little more money. I think I pay something like $8 for a box of 100, but I only use them for coloring fondant and stuff like that.

tatorchip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatorchip Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:59am
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlonde

I use medical gloves....my skin gets really dry in the winter months and washing my hands that much would kill them. I also sliced two of my fingers really bad last night with my Agbay so they came in handy with my booboos icon_smile.gif

Sorry to hear about you boo boo, hope it is healing up for you, I can't even tolerate a paper cut

ttehan4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttehan4 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:15am
post #7 of 8

Sams Club has them. They are actually in the commercial cleaning chemicals isle. They are latex food safe. Just make sure you get the powder free ones.

TheBlonde Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheBlonde Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 1:44am
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by tatorchip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlonde

Sorry to hear about you boo boo, hope it is healing up for you, I can't even tolerate a paper cut

awww...thanks icon_smile.gif I've been through natural childbirth so sliced fingers don't really bother me...lol slap some bandaids and a glove on and I'm good to go...hahaha

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%