Smbc Can It Be Made In Double Or Triple Batches?

Baking By Echooo3 Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm by stsapph

Echooo3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Echooo3 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:05am
post #1 of 8

I need to made SMBC, a lot of it. Do I have to make it a single batch at a time? Has anybody made multiple batches of this stuff at once?

Also, should I keep it in the fridge or can I keep it at room temp until I use it (2 days).

7 replies
cherryz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherryz Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:17am
post #2 of 8

hi there...how much is your single batch? i follow 3 eggs with 3 sticks butter... i tried to double it. it works for me... but i do it fresh cos of the eggs... hope others will reply so i can learn as well.... icon_smile.gif

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:45am
post #3 of 8

I have a recipie that fills my 5qt KA, comes out great. I would make it no more than 1 day ahead, or you'll have to refrigerate it, then bring it back to room temp and then re-beat it.

20 eggs
3 cups sugar
4 lbs unsalted butter
vanilla/almond to taste

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echooo3

I need to made SMBC, a lot of it. Do I have to make it a single batch at a time? Has anybody made multiple batches of this stuff at once?

Also, should I keep it in the fridge or can I keep it at room temp until I use it (2 days).

You can make as big a batch as your mixer will hold. I wouldn't store it at room temp that long....but since you can make it really fast, why not rearrange your to do list and make it fresh the day you need it?

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:16pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCanadian

I have a recipie that fills my 5qt KA, comes out great. I would make it no more than 1 day ahead, or you'll have to refrigerate it, then bring it back to room temp and then re-beat it.

20 eggs
3 cups sugar
4 lbs unsalted butter
vanilla/almond to taste

Seriously? 4 lbs of butter? I use 4 1/2 cups and can barely get all of that incorporated before it's 'right' ....

Jeff_Arnett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeff_Arnett Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:46pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by all4cake

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJCanadian

20 eggs
3 cups sugar
4 lbs unsalted butter
vanilla/almond to taste

Seriously? 4 lbs of butter? I use 4 1/2 cups and can barely get all of that incorporated before it's 'right' ....

Speaking of SMBC, I was watching one of the Food Network Cake Challenges the other day and Duff Goldman showed how to make SMBC.....he didn't heat the egg whites and sugar, just whipped them and added the butter.

I know you could probably do this with pasteurized egg whites....and maybe he did that....I didn't see.....but I'd be afraid of using raw whites without heating them.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:14pm
post #7 of 8

Jeff, I've made that & used it on dummies--seems to act a little greasier--my cooked icing clings to the bowl--the uncooked slips out of the bowl. It's not a greasy mouth feel though.

It's a very interesting thing huh.

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 8

You can definitely make multiple batches at a time as long as your mixer can handle it. The only problem that I had making a really large batch, I think I did 5X, was that some of the egg white actually cooked. If this happens, just push the icing through a stainer before using it to get any chunks out. Other than that, I had no problems! HTH!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%