Marzipan. Has Anyone Ever Covered A Cake In Marzipan?

Decorating By kathysjoy Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm by BakingJeannie

kathysjoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathysjoy Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:36am
post #1 of 8

Hello all icon_smile.gif I am brand new to this site and love it already. I am preparing for my daughters first b-day and had wanted to use fondant but I live in Italy and where we are I dont have access to fondant or the ingredients to make it. If someone on here lives in Italy and can tell me how you make it, wonderful, or if you have a recipe that doesnt call for marshmallows, shortening, or corn syrup I'll try it but we dont have the above.
So, I can make/buy marzipan and am wondering if I could cover a cake with it the same way you'd cover one with fondant? And would adding dots or stripes work in the same way?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! icon_smile.gif I am soo exited to have found this site! deana if you see this, THANK YOU!

7 replies
kathyx1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kathyx1 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 8:58am
post #2 of 8

Have you tasted marzipan? It's got a strong flavour and a lot of people don't like it. You use it the same way you would fondant. I'm sure there are lots of recipes for fondant on here that don't use the usual ingredients. Have a look through the recipes, there is heaps and they are so good!
And I'm with you, this is a great site but too addictive!
Good luck with whatever you choose to make.

sweetswedish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetswedish Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:02am
post #3 of 8

Yes, You can use Marzipan. I use it all the time. Tastes so much better. It is a little softer to work with. I color and paint on it. Make flowers and leaves and cut out designs. I just won't do super fancy, large cakes with it.. That is where fondant is easier to use. Since I am Swedish baker, living in America I find myself making more European style cakes hence I use my favorite... marzipan and of course whipped creams (with filler) instead of sugar icing.

Yes! I aggree, this is a wonderful forum... and you learn so much. Good luck!

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:25am
post #4 of 8

Hi there, I used to cover fruit cakes in marzipan. I LOVE it. But now I have started to cover all my cakes with marzipan. Main reason for that is to get a nice smooth surface to work and the taste is so nice. icon_smile.gif I will PM you the recipe for fondant. icon_smile.gif

janeoxo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janeoxo Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:37am
post #5 of 8

You say that you can't get the ingredients for fondant but, beware of names used on here that you might call something different in Italy.

I am in the UK we don't have shortening but we do have solid vegetable fat for baking we just dont call it shortening and it is known by the name of the companies that make it i.e., cookeen, we dont have gumpaste we have sugarpaste, gumpaste in the UK is something completely different. So all I am saying is you might not think you can get these things, but they may be called something different in Italy. We even sometimes call fondant regalice in this country. Just an idea!

Good luck with whatever you end up doing.

rainbow_kisses Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rainbow_kisses Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:27am
post #6 of 8

like already advised you can use marzipan in exactly the same way as fondant. it can be coloured, modeled and shaped in just the same way.

welcome to the addictive world of CC icon_smile.gif

Caths_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caths_Cakes Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 11:48am
post #7 of 8

I only ever use marizpan on fruit cakes, but being british thats a tradtion pretty much lol, Although ive had it on sponge cakes and i think its a terrible combination to be honest, marzipan has a such a strong nutty flavour which alot of peope dont like or cant have to begin with.

BakingJeannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingJeannie Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:06pm
post #8 of 8

On the fruit cake I do for weddings, I usually cover with almond paste or mix the almond paste with fondant to get a type of marzipan. However, one big not, do not use cornflour or corn starch to come in contact with the marzipan, it causes the marzipan and your cake or cookies to go bad (some kind of chemical reaction producing a fungi).

Hope this helps.

Jeannie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%