Jack-O-Lantern Cake Supports?

Decorating By stsapph Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 1:44pm by stsapph

stsapph Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stsapph Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 9

Hi all! I was planning on making a jack-o-lantern cake for Halloween using two bundt cakes stacked together, bottom to bottom, to make a sphere. I'm going to be making it out of spice cake, so it will be a denser cake. Now, me question is, what kind of support do I need, if any? I figured I at least needed a cake board between the two cakes, but do I need dowels/straws to help support as well. Should I cut off the top of one a little more to flatten it out to sit on the cake plate better? The cake will be traveling a short distance fully assembles. Just thought I'd ask for some insight from the professionals! I had a bit of a disaster with my Halloween cake last year and wanted to avoid a similar situation this go around! lol TIA!

Amber

8 replies
madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:06am
post #2 of 9

I just put mine together with buttercream, and did not use boards in between....I civered it in butter cream as well and it did not look good to me, I like fondant on them better..........I did not use skewers but if your travelling with it...unless your carrying it I gguess I would want to support it some how........maybe someone will answer you better

stsapph Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:09am
post #3 of 9

Thanks Madge!
I was planning on covering in fondant, as I don't really like the look of cream cheese icing unless I'm going for something rustic. I'm leaning towards minimal supports at the moment, but just wanted to get some opinions.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:16am
post #4 of 9

well this will keep it going, and hopefully someone will help you out...sorry I can't offer more

stsapph Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:17am
post #5 of 9

No worries. I appreciate all the help I can get!

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:27am
post #6 of 9

Timely topic--
I made a pumpkin cake using a Target Halloween version bundt pans. I had so much fun with it I bought a regular size bundt pan so I could make a larger version. I was wondering if with the larger version if I would need some type of support system as well. I'll be using buttercream for the entire cake. The cake it's self will probably be white with maybe a ganche filling.

So I am wondering what kind if any support system I'll need. It will be traveling probably for at least twenty minutes on freeways and side streets.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:31am
post #7 of 9

You can look in my photos at the pumpkin cake I uploaded here yesterday ~ it rode about 10 miles and did absolutely fine with no internal supports. I was afraid the dowels would actually perforate the cake rather than stabilize it. The cake was solid and stable without them.

Have fun! It's a really fun cake to do. icon_smile.gif

aquamom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aquamom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:47pm
post #8 of 9

Cakepro--you did a great job on that cake. Thanks for all the help!!!

stsapph Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:44pm
post #9 of 9

That was my worry as well with the doweling. Thanks for the help Cakepro! I really appreciate it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%