Mmf Setting And Texture

Decorating By chyna Updated 24 Aug 2005 , 11:20pm by chyna

chyna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chyna Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:45pm
post #1 of 13

Hi there, new here, and really enjoying all the information!

I'm making a dragon cake for my son's birthday, and trying a few new things on prototypes....

I used sugarpaste last year and this year am thinking I will use MMF because it's FAR easier to handle...I just have some concern re the setting and texture....right now, it's quite chewy and marshmallowy still, and I'd rather have something less chewy....as it sets, will it be more like frosting and less like thin marshmallow?

I modelled a little dragon and had a tough time with him sagging....sugarpaste is definately stiffer...can I adjust the MMF? (I have to use rather more sugar than in the recipe on this site to get it non-sticky, and I roll and knead it with cornstarch)

12 replies
ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 13

MMF will stay soft if you use shortening to stop it from sticking to your surface when rolling it out and use shortening on your hands to apply it to your cakes... if you use cornstarch, it will harden and have a more matte finish... it won't be shiny ... hope this answers your questions icon_smile.gif

alimonkey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alimonkey Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:50pm
post #3 of 13

Sorry to tell you this, but as it sets it gets more and more like it's a marshmallow that has been sitting on the counter for a few months. It's not totally unpleasant in small doses, but I can't imagine eating a whole big chunk of it. Even my 2yo daughter, who loves the stuff, will only eat it in small pieces. If she gets a little grabby and takes a big chunk, she usually spits it out.

Ali

chyna Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 13

when it hardens, will it have less of a gummy texture when eaten? that's my only real problem with it....sugarpaste is more "compatible" with the cake, imo.....less chewy than MMF

I like the matte finish on it, and the stretchiness when applying, and how thinly it can be rolled and still eb workable (esp compared to sugarpaste)

I'm just not sure about the chewiness.

chyna Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 13

alimonkey, that's exactly what is making me hesitate to use it for a base coat....that chewiness. otherwise I love working with it.....

I think I may use sugarpaste again....while much harder to work with, it's more what I prefer to eat.

alimonkey Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 8:57pm
post #6 of 13

I have no problem using it as a base, but I think I roll it quite a bit thinner than most. Never used sugar paste, so I have nothing to compare it to. Maybe try rolled buttercream? Never tried that either so I don't know.

Good luck

ali

chyna Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:03pm
post #7 of 13

can you send me to a rolled buttercream recipe? never heard of it - can you give me some idea of how it "handles" and it's "mouthfeel" compared to MMF?

Hazelnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hazelnut Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:05pm
post #8 of 13

What Sugarpaste recipe do you use? Would you mind sharing?

chyna Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:10pm
post #9 of 13

Last year I did a motorcycle cake using this:

1 large egg white (I used equivalent pasturised from a carton)
1 Tbsp liquid glucose (I skipped this, because I couldn't find it in time)
3c confectioners sugar

I DID put glycerine in it, didn't measure, iirc.

Now....would it have been "creamier" with the glucose? and I am printing off a recipe from this site that has gelatin in it....that would makes sense for a more "durable" sugarpaste....

(I had problems with cracking, and sticking to the rolling surface.)

alimonkey Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 13

In most recipes you can use glucose & light corn syrup interchangably.
What you made is royal icing, minus some water. The glucose in it would make it rollable, and probably stay a lot softer when it dried. I'd try it again using the corn syrup and see what happens. Don't know about the stickiness.

Can't help you with the rolled buttercream but I'm sure you'll find a recipe if you search the forums for it.

Ali

chyna Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 13

AFAIK, that's a typical sugarpaste recipe, and then some add softeners. I'm going to give it another try, since I'm not sure I will like the end results texturewise of eating the MMF (although I LOVE how it handles for covering cakes and making squishy figures (peep-like) LOL )

I'll pick up some corn syrup for some trials (I have a couple of weeks to decide, and a prototype cake with MMF so I know the design works)

ntertayneme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ntertayneme Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 9:49pm
post #12 of 13

chyna, here is the link in the recipe section for the rolled buttercream recipe

http://cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-196-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

chyna Posted 24 Aug 2005 , 11:20pm
post #13 of 13

thanks for the link. has anyone used it much?

I just cut the prototype cake, and actually the MMF loses some of it's gooeyness, it seems.....it's not too bad. Will eat the rest of it over the next few days, probably.....get opinions on the icing...DS peels it off, and then won't eat the cake....LOL...he does'nt like icing and won't eat the cake.......I'm obviously not making this for him, other than appearance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%