Your Other Creative Sides???

Lounge By Adevag Updated 27 Oct 2009 , 2:04am by Shawnswife

Adevag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adevag Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:55pm
post #1 of 19

Some say baking is art and some call it science. Decorating is definitely an art and everyone here at CC is so creative. I have always been curious to know what other creative interests/hobbies you all have beside cake decorating!
I also enjoy scrap booking (can't remember last time I bought a hallmark card), cross stitching, sewing (simple things) painting (just for fun, I have done some water colors and have just started to try oil painting).

18 replies
playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:48am
post #2 of 19

I watch intelligent television - news stations, Discovery and other learning channels; I love films, especially pre-1970's films. I only watch reality television when the topic is creativity with a goal at the end - Top Chef, Project Runway, etc. I do not watch television that compromises or insults the intelligence of man. I sew, embroider, knit, paint (took a class in Chinese brush painting a couple of years ago - loved it). I listen to almost all types of music, I sing along to the oldies, write poems for song lyrics that nobody ever sees, write comedy skits that nobody ever performs. I experiment with my own versions of fusion cooking. I sculpt with polymer clay, which is great practice for sculpting with sugarpastes. I love to read, especially blogs of late, but don't have the patience to learn how to post my own. Besides, I have too many darn opinions about too many things to start writing about them. I'd never have time to read anything.

Right now, I'm NY Yankees-obsessed (lifelong fan). I have a TV card in my computer, so I'm watching the ALCS playoff game as I write this. I bought a Yankees hat to wear to the grandson's wedding reception. Most of the other guests will be Phillies fans.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:20am
post #3 of 19

Does trying to get some sleep count?
I like to spend time outside by hiking, walking trails, camping and such. I also love to cook and create dishes.

Elise87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elise87 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #4 of 19

With other creative stuff I mainly do graphic design besides cake decorating icon_smile.gif Oh i also like doing a bit of photography, painting and drawing

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:54am
post #5 of 19

My big creative thing the last coupld years has been making regalia for my boys to dance in.

I've been teaching myself things like beading and roach making to make the boys their stuff. This year my oldest expects me to learn to make a bustle because he wants to fancy dance instead of grass.

My avatar is part of my youngest's regalia, he insisted it have snakes on it to represent his snake. The big one is red and white because his snake is red and white.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 4:02am
post #6 of 19

I do a bit of everything! In addition to baking I also love to cook (DH and I are foodies) and develop and try new recipes. I have recently started making beaded jewelry. I do some scrapbooking and card making. I am (slowly) teaching myself to sew (working on a set of altar cloths for the children's chapel at church right now). I embroider/needlepoint and applique (working on a sugar plum fairy stocking for my sister). I do some flower arranging, a little glass painting, a little acrylics and watercolors. Going to be dabbling in painting ceramics soon (my aunt is giving me an unpainted nativity set that my grandmother had sculpted but had not painted before she died). I sing in the choir at church. In addition to all of that, I am also a writer, had some poems published in college, working on a novel right now.

seasonsmoke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seasonsmoke Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 9:23am
post #7 of 19

I cross stich, plastic canvis, spend time with family and friends.

ShelleyMJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShelleyMJ Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:03pm
post #8 of 19

I sing, play the fife, keyboard, sew, cross stitch, flower arranging, and my newest hobby is cake decorating.

cakey37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakey37 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 19

i do baking, knitting, cross stitch just learn to crochet, and reading, much prefer doing than watching tv, thumbs_up.gif

MalibuBakinBarbie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MalibuBakinBarbie Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:56pm
post #10 of 19

I LOVE to crochet! For 20+ years I have done just afghans, and I just learned how to make baby clothes. I made a dress/bonnet ensemble (complete with bib and booties) for my niece, my brother's 1st baby. I enjoy reading and doing cross stitch, too. Every so often I try to teach myself to play my flute again; but that's been, well... Let's just say it's frightening! icon_eek.gif

Now I WISH I knew how to sew! I would LOVE to learn to make some of my own clothes in the styles and patterns I like. icon_smile.gif

staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 19

In addition to cake decorating, I love to bead.

Recently I went into a business establishment and they had about five (5) puzzles that they glued onto cardboard, framed them and put them on the walls.

Now, I'm itching to buy a 3000-piece puzzle and fix it!!

staceyboots Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:18pm
post #12 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalibuBakinBarbie

Now I WISH I knew how to sew! I would LOVE to learn to make some of my own clothes in the styles and patterns I like. icon_smile.gif

Ohhhh...I wish I knew how to make my own clothes!!

staceyboots Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:24pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:

staceyboots Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #15 of 19

I love art my fav mediums are pastel chalks and acrylic paint and my glue gun. (Red necks can have their duck tape so long as I can have my glue gun. icon_cool.gif ) Anything crafty.
I can sew curtains and dress up clothes and make repairs. I am making some valances for my daughter's room right now to go wall to wall. Then we are going to put up the beads and Chinese paper lanterns from her ceiling.
I love interior design- if only we had the ca-ching to really do anything right now.
I enjoy cooking up a great meal.

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:19pm
post #16 of 19

I like to think of myselft as a creative tech nerd icon_smile.gif

I am constantly trying to keep my Web site modern looking. I also do my church's, nephews' school's, sister's business and a local fitness group's site. For my business I also have Twitter, Myspace, Flickr and Blogspot pages. I'm working on a Facebook one too.

I'm really into graphic design & learning more about it. I am not by far a pro, but I can make decent looking fliers and brochures for my different groups.

I'm a writer at heart. I love it. I don't know how many unfinished stories I have. I wish I had more time for it. I could make it. (Hmm, maybe my New Year's resolution will be to do more things for myself...)

I also LOVE ceramics! I took it in HS and have always wanted to take classes up again.

quilting2011 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
quilting2011 Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 4:40pm
post #17 of 19

Just finished a quilting class. Love machine quilting.

I currently have to give up quilting - have a frozen shoulder issue on right side.

Right now just reading, taking walks, and visiting local events art events in NY

CakesHeaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesHeaven Posted 26 Oct 2009 , 5:30pm
post #18 of 19

My kids say I'm a craft junkie...lol
I love crafts. I usually do cross-stich and painting but have dabbled in the flowers decoration, scrapbooking and bracelet making. There is just so much fun stuff to do, who needs to grow up icon_smile.gif

Shawnswife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shawnswife Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 2:04am
post #19 of 19

Hummm, my greatest love in the creative world would have to be knitting. I am 23, yet have done it for years and years and years. I am currently working on writing a knitting book with patterns for baby clothing and accessories. I also cook, crochet, scrapbook, embroider, cross stitch, and sew. I want to try my hand at stained glass, but since lead is involved, I decided to wait until my husband and I are done making our future babies. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%