9X13 Cake Pan Servings??

Decorating By eatdessert1st Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm by eatdessert1st

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

How many party cake servings for a 2 layer? I get different answers at about every site I check out.

5 replies
bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:53pm
post #2 of 6

Wilton says 45 servings. Their servings recommendations are pretty small though.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:05pm
post #3 of 6

For a single layer 9x13 aka quarter sheet, you will get 24 (2x2x2high) industry standard size servings.
For a two layer 9x13 aka quarter sheet, you will get 48 (1x2x4high) industry standard size servings.
Party size servings are 2x3x2high for single layer, so you get approx 18 servings in a 9x13.
Party size servings are 1.5x2x4high for two layer, so you get approx 36 servings in a 9x13.
Family size servings are 2x4x2high for single layer, so you get approx 12 servings in a 9x13.
Family size servings are 2x2x4high for two layer, so you get approx 24 servings in a 9x13.

Someone please correct me if my math is wrong. icon_biggrin.gif

For visual reference, Family size is on the left, Party size in the middle and Industry standard size (also used for pricing) on the right.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=88648

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #4 of 6

Are you serving it or pricing it?

If you're serving it, it can have as little as 2 and as many as 50. icon_biggrin.gif

If you're pricing it, determine what your standard serving size will be. I don't believe in "party" and "wedding" servings.

For example, for pricing, I go by 1x2x4 as the serving size. Here's a pic of how big that piece is: http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1156785

doing the math is easy on a rectangle cake. To cut a 9x13, 2 layer cake, into 1x2x4" pieces (and I always round down to even numbers to make it easier), you would cut 8 rows (the 9" side cut into approx 1" rows) by 6 columns (the 13" side cut into approx 2" columns). 6x8 = 48 pieces.

I tell the client, "You can get 35-45 pieces, depending on how you cut it. The cost is blah-blah-blah."

If you use different dimensions other than 1x2x4, then just do the math the same way to determine the number of servings.

But I STRONGLY suggest you pick a serving size and stick with it TO DETERMINE PRICING.

bettinashoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bettinashoe Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm
post #5 of 6

You serve cake like I do, Debi! At least when it comes to a 9 x 13 serving 2!

eatdessert1st Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eatdessert1st Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:41pm
post #6 of 6

The info has helped a LOT! THank you SO much... I blow at math icon_cry.gif
It'll be a tall 2 layer as I'm using white chocolate mousse w/ strawberries. It always ends up taller than I think it's gonna end up w/ that filling. The cake I did for my daughter's bday was ridiculously tall w/ 3 layers plus that filling. The 9x13 will give very generous servings for 20... it puts my mind at ease.
Thanks for all the input!

Melanie Mc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%