Edible Image Questions!!

Decorating By alicialee Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm by tiggy2

alicialee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alicialee Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 8

I am making a Twilight book, and I ordered an edible image of the front cover. This is my first time working with one. I plan on applying it to fondant. Do I need to place it on white fondant or can I place it on black fondant. The cover of the book is black and I would rather not have the white fondant on top. Also, when I apply it, should I brush some water or vodka on the fondant to make it wet? The Image can with instructions but it is for placing it on buttercream. I'm a little nervous since I only ordered one image, so I only have one shot at this!!! Please help!! Thank you!!

7 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:32pm
post #2 of 8

Hi there, as far as I know you can place it on any colour fondant. I have used these and use shortening to stick it on the fondant. I rubbed a very thin layer of shortening and placed the image on the fondant. I used a palette knife to adjust it to the right position. You can spray a mist of water on the fondant and stick the image. But I highly recommend shortening.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 8

If the background of your image is white the black fondant will show through.

prayerwarrior Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prayerwarrior Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 8

Hint: Place the image in the freezer for a minute or so for easy release.

alicialee Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:10pm
post #5 of 8

Thank you!!! These little hints help ALOT! Im going to go ahead and place it on the black fondant.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:31pm
post #6 of 8

what color is the image.........if the image is white, the black fondant will show through and look muddy (not good). I would suggest covering in white fondant, mask off area where photo will go and airbrush the rest black, then the spot where your image will be will be white and not affect your image at all. it would be such a shame to waste the photo if you can avoid it.

alicialee Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 7:54pm
post #7 of 8

The image is a skin tone color and red. But It's supposed to be kinda a "dark" image and it is a little too light. So I'm hoping that the black fondant will darken it a little bit. Unless it will just make is so so dark that I wont be able to tell what it is!!! I was going to place the image on white fondant then place the white fondant on top of the black fondant. But I saw some pictures on here where the people have done that, and I don't like being able to see the white fondant.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 8:07pm
post #8 of 8

If you cut the image and the white fondant the same size you whouldn't be able to see the white fondant.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%