Giving Away Instructions?

Business By CakeMommyTX Updated 4 Nov 2009 , 7:06pm by FullHouse

dreamcakesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamcakesmom Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #91 of 143

I am so thankful for CC. When I started cakes I used this site as an inspiration, instructional, motivation to move forward. I have pm'd and posted questions, some have been answered, some have not. I typically however have specific question, like which tip did you use for this border, what size was this, how did you get this particular shape etc. I am thankful to all of ypu who have been so helpful with answers, tutorials, insight to help others like me get beeter at this craft. I however have also posted pics which people have pm'd me with questions. Some I have answered, specifics and others who basically have said, I am not a professional, have little experience can you tell me how to make the 3 tiered fondant covered cake with multiple involved gumpaste and fondant details and unfortunately I can not respond to those. I do not have the time to write a step by step tutorial which is why this site is great. Those people that do have time have made videos and instructions and posted them. Brilliant!

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:48pm
post #92 of 143

To the OP:

Did someone actually write you an email that said, "Hey, can you tell me how to make this cake because, by the way, I don't wanna pay YOU to make it"?

I just want to know how you know for a fact that this person is just being cheap, and not, for instance, a decorator who likes your style and wants to learn. I think this would clear up a lot of the misunderstandings going on here.

There is a HUGE difference between someone coming out and saying that they think you're too expensive, so gimmegimmegimme some free lessons, and people who just want to learn.

FierceConfections Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:50pm
post #93 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by txcupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

Hmmm... as in all people interested in caking are equal, but the ones on Cake Central are more equal than others? icon_lol.gif

It certainly seems that way. Orwellian.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:54pm
post #94 of 143

The OP said just that in her original posting & reiterated it again in fuller details. I don't understand what people are reading when they read what she wrote.

FierceConfections Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:58pm
post #95 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

The OP said just that in her original posting & reiterated it again in fuller details. I don't understand what people are reading when they read what she wrote.

My sincerest apologies, LaBellaFlor. icon_rolleyes.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:40pm
post #96 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

What irritates me more than the request for help are those people that are too darn lazy to go look for the answer ...

that SEARCH button is located just under the CC logo.... and surprisingly dishes up a lot of results thumbs_up.gif - I think it is the most under-used function on this forum icon_wink.gif

Yessssssss!!

I've tried to do searches and I get lists then when I choose something from the list I get an error so...keep that in mind too. But I don't ask many cake questions either. Mostly looking for something for someone else.

Just my experience.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm
post #97 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by FierceConfections

To the OP:

Did someone actually write you an email that said, "Hey, can you tell me how to make this cake because, by the way, I don't wanna pay YOU to make it"?

I just want to know how you know for a fact that this person is just being cheap, and not, for instance, a decorator who likes your style and wants to learn. I think this would clear up a lot of the misunderstandings going on here.

There is a HUGE difference between someone coming out and saying that they think you're too expensive, so gimmegimmegimme some free lessons, and people who just want to learn.

Yes I have had several people inquire about a certain cake to purchase and then when they find out how much it costs they opt for a detailed list if instructions, ingrediants and supplies so they can "just make it themselves"
I have a blog for tutorials and I answer what questions I can on here so I'm not anti-helping and sharing it's just that small group of people that I don't know what to do about.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:25pm
post #98 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeMommyTX

...when a mom emails me at 3am because the cake she made for her daughter has collapsed ... (turns out she stacked 3 Sam's cakes just like Sandra Lee told her, but forgot to dowel,lmao!)

I saw an episode of Sandra Lee's show where she did this and my first thought was, "I wonder how many viewers will see this, do what she says, and have their cake completely collapse into itself or simply fall over?" I guess we now know at least one. I like Sandra's show, but when I saw that I couldn't believe she did it.

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 3:30pm
post #99 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Dont worry...Ill just google it for you!
Follow the link..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+ice+a+cake

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

OMG - ROTFLMAO!!! LOVE that, Edna!!! You get to wear my "That girl is awesome!" sash for the day!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Carolynlovescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carolynlovescake Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:14pm
post #100 of 143

Scenario 1: Customer saying "I can't afford it, can you provide written direction on how to do it for me so I can? - No

Scenario 2: Family saying "can you bake for us when you come down on Thanksgiving? - I'm on vacation people! I'll give you a list of supplies, we can bake together, and if you want to decorate you make the frosting, and I'll give you some free lessons.

There is a huge difference in a customer wanting to know your trade secrets. Those I don't hand out.

I've said this before when the "can I have the recipe" subject comes up. I hand out nothing that I use in business.I do share similar recipes with them that will get them close results though and tell them that.. "sorry i don't hand out my business recipes but I do have a few others you can try that are kind of like mine."

As for a "how to do X cake" I think my reply would be "I don't have any of that down on paper in a hand out version."

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 5:49pm
post #101 of 143

I guess we just all agree to our own ways of doing things. I am a Wilton instructor and I even have my phone number at the store for the employees to give to anyone who needs assistance with a cake - I am not of the calibur of most of the folks on here, but I always am willing to share if someone asks. (and I have gotten orders from this too - people that I have dealt with **SO FAR** have been very thankful and have remembered me when they need something they don't feel they can do)

Being the way I have been, I have not once been bitten in the backside for it. I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm
post #102 of 143

I'm a little amazed at the turn this thread has taken. I'm amazed at how many people think I should just "hand over" all of the how-to's of running my business to someone who just doesn't want to pay my price for it.

"Hello, KFC? I love your chicken but I'm not willing to pay your price for it. Will you get together the only two people in the world who know your recipe and have them just give it to me so I can make it on my own?"

I believe the point is the arrogance in attitude of those who think "well if you have it and I dont' then you owe it to me." I'll happily help someone who is working to start their cake business and I believe that I (and many, many others on here) have demonstrated that time and time again.

However, that doesnt' mean I "owe" anyone all of my information. And for someone to approach me with a "GIVE me all of the info I need to do what you do" is just bullsh*t. And for someone to think any of us are "selfish" and "uncaring" and "unwilling" to (clear throat) "help" someone else by not just HANDING OVER everything is an example of the entitlement PROBLEM we are experiencing today.

I'll help someone with a leg up. But they should expect to provide their own horse.

I just don't know how else to explain it. I find it sad that some on here just don't understand the point the OP was making. I find it sad that in a site that is FULL of caring and sharing, there are those who think it's not enough and the more experienced CC'ers should be giving MORE and MORE or else risk being referred to as selfish and uncaring.

I find it sad that an attitude like that says way more about you than it does about me and the other very caring/sharing folks on here.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 6:26pm
post #103 of 143

As usual...well said Debi!

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:15pm
post #104 of 143

And the mother hen has spoken! lol....

(I say it with love Debi!)

MyDiwa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MyDiwa Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:40pm
post #105 of 143

I think most people would agree that a request for a specific tip/technique on something from a fellow baker is different than a request for complete instructions from A-Z after a potential customer has inquired about your product and has said your prices are too high. IMHO, those of you that claim you would pony it all up are either untruthful, unrealistic and havent actually been in that situation or are misunderstanding the circumstances described.

I am curious about the comment on requesting instructions on something when a CCer posts a picture and I'm trying to do something similar. Do people generally think it's presumptuous and annoying or is it ok?

Loucinda Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm
post #106 of 143

I think (as always) you have excellent points Indy. I have NEVER been asked how to do a cake from A to Z. (although I have given step by step directions many many times to those who have asked - gelatin, tiaras, etc. the things I can do well) I must be on some planet of my own because the people that have asked me for how to's have always been gracious and thankful. (not one has "demanded" or "expected" my help) I don't feel anything I have learned is MINE - I don't own it. I am very lucky in my life that I have been able to afford to take classes from very experienced decorators - I have always been of the mind to "pay it forward" - as always, each person does things the way they feel is right. I personally have always been this way and I have no regrets thus far.

And again, I am very thankful to those who have shared their knowledge and experience with me. I would not have the skills I have today if it weren't for all of you.

I have paid attention to the OP - and it sucks that she has so much talent that people obviously think she owes them. I am fortunate that I am not that talented!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 7:56pm
post #107 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

I have always been of the mind to "pay it forward" - as always, each person does things the way they feel is right. I personally have always been this way and I have no regrets thus far.

I agree. I was actually a little peeved at Hollywood when they took credit for using "my" pay-it-forward philsophy! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif As many can attest, every time I share my biz plan, I tell them the only price is that when they are in a position to help someone else get started, that they pay it forward in the same way! thumbs_up.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #108 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by asanchez

Its in storage because I moved from Florida to NY (my hubby was diagnosed with Leukemia and he needed to be treated in NY). Also closing on a house in about a week, so you will probably get a recipe the first of November.

I hope he does wonderfully well on the treatments!!!
God bless you both very much.

(((giant hug)))

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:40am
post #109 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

If you don't get any results from the CC search - the as previous poster suggested an Advanced Google Search within the CC domain will yield massive results.

As an example - here is a search I did for 'ganache'
take your pick from the 16,600 results (all on CC)

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&as_q=ganache&as_epq=&as_oq=&as_eq=&num=10&lr=&as_filetype=&ft=i&as_sitesearch=www.cakecentral.com&as_qdr=all&as_rights=&as_occt=any&cr=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&safe=images

this should be a sticky...i didn't know you could do this

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:56am
post #110 of 143

wow this really works great!....i can't tell you how many times i've been frustrated looking for stuff.

thanks so much for this!

Loucinda Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:14pm
post #111 of 143

Applegum - that is EXCELLENT info. I cannot tell you how many times the search button here does NOT work for me. I guess I get a "one - track" mind set and don't think of the other alternatives. I have always automatically looked for anything cake related here! Thank you for sharing. icon_smile.gif

asanchez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
asanchez Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 12:43pm
post #112 of 143

Thank you all for your prayers and best wishes for my hubbys recovery, I am deeply touched!!

I am so impressed with the sharing of recipes!!!

I cannot wait to try them!!! Especially the Almond Joy!!

moscakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moscakes5 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 2:57pm
post #113 of 143

I don not like to share my receipes unless I feel you are trying to learn.

I actually was laughing at myself last night because I just thought up some flavor pairings (4) and was browsing thru cc and found a variations of them all here.

cakesdivine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesdivine Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:33pm
post #114 of 143

To the OP...

Getting back on track here with the original question. I want to say that for those who are actual cakers and are wanting to learn no problem sharing information...give & get is how it should be within the industry and hobbiests...

BUT...and sorry Cassi (you know I love you)

If a potential customer requests instructions on how to do a cake because they don't want to pay my price here is my response...

"I would be happy to do so...my private cake decorating classes are $170 per course at your home, each course is 6 weeks long one lesson per week, for the cake you are requesting you will need to take all 4 courses, Courses 1 & 2 can be taken simultaneously as can courses 3 & 4. When would you like to begin your lessons?" icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:44pm
post #115 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmansmom2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

Dont worry...Ill just google it for you!
Follow the link..

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=How+to+ice+a+cake

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

OMG - ROTFLMAO!!! LOVE that, Edna!!! You get to wear my "That girl is awesome!" sash for the day!! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif ...I always get a kick out of that..lol
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 27 Oct 2009 , 11:45pm
post #116 of 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loucinda

Applegum - that is EXCELLENT info. I cannot tell you how many times the search button here does NOT work for me. I guess I get a "one - track" mind set and don't think of the other alternatives. I have always automatically looked for anything cake related here! Thank you for sharing. icon_smile.gif

Lately is not working for me at all..It takes me to outside search enigines.
Edna icon_sad.gif

jstritt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jstritt Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 12:05am
post #117 of 143

It's unfortunate to see so many people that don't want to share. I have absolutely no problem sharing my instructions with others. So many have done it for me. Pay it forward...there is enough competition and anger going on in the world right now. Just because you share directions doesn't mean that the person will be able to replicate the cake. And if they do, good for them. We are sharing our love of cake decorating with others. I take it as a great compliment for others to ask me for directions. Keep it coming!!!! I may not respond immediately, but I will eventually.

cakesdivine Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 2:06pm
post #118 of 143

I think many of you are missing the point!

This was a NON CAKER, a potential customer who wanted this cake artists to give her her recipe, tell her how to make the cake herself so she didn't have to pay the cake artists price. I highly doubt this bride to be was wanting to do anying with caking other than just for her wedding, it isn't like she said to the OP that she was interested in learning how to do cakes. Why should the OP give her this information for free?

Everyone gets so mad when a fellow caker cuts prices to rediculous amounts to make a sell, but if a caker doesn't give a client FOR FREE her recipes, designs, and techniques to a person who admittedly stated she was only asking because she didn't want to pay that cake artists price y'all jump her hide for not paying it forward? That is just plain B*(( $#!+. If you are all on the OP's case for not wanting to give this "something for nothing" bride-to be what she is asking then you certainly have NO RIGHT to dog the caker who undersells her product...it is the SAME THING!

Loucinda Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 3:36pm
post #119 of 143

I just want to add, I have never, not once "dogged" someone about what they charge for their cakes either. That is their cake, their decision.

The OP is an extremely talented decorator, I doubt if there are many folks that can replicate her work - even if they have step by step instructions and pics to go with it.

I actually had a person call me for help with a fondant "wubzy" (??) She got my number from Michaels (where I teach) I invited her over, helped her do the figure - and found out when she arrived it was a friend of my oldest daughters' (from high school) AND a CC member who couldn't figure out the directions someone on here had given her! She actually paid me for helping her - which I didn't expect. She had experience, but still was not able to complete the figure without help.

Sorry this is so long winded, but just an example - even WITH directions, most folks could not do any of OP cakes and pull them off!

cakesdivine Posted 28 Oct 2009 , 4:32pm
post #120 of 143

Not sure Lou if you are saying she should or shouldn't give this BTB her info? The girl you personally helped CLEARLY is a caker novice so sure share because this is something she is investing time, energy and money into for the long haul! NOT A STINGY BTB WANTING SOMETHING FOR NOTHING!

Fellow caker...aways share

Tightwad with no desire for caking...Heck NO!

Regardless of whether they can or cannot pull off the designs (them not being able to is a given)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%