New To Cake-Ing....how Much Is Enough?

Decorating By liezl8a Updated 20 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm by CutiePieCakes-Ontario

liezl8a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liezl8a Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:38am
post #1 of 9

Hi Everyone,
I'm fairly new to cakeing (hehe..i love that word)...and I have my first order coming up. I was just wondering , what size cake pan would i use to serve 50 to 60 ppl? I bought one for my Pokemon cake that I made but I don't think that would be big enough. Also, any tips on a better way to get the cake of of the pan?? It was the first time I used a square pan and the first time... when i tried to take my cake out...it broke in half! doh!!

thanks all for your help and inspiration!! =)
liezl

8 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:49am
post #2 of 9

here is the wilton wedding serving chart I use for all cakes: http://www.wilton.com/wedding/wedding-cakes/wedding-cake-data.cfm

how do you treat your pans? I grease-only-no-flour (haven't used flour for 30 years); I use bakings strips around the pans and reduce the oven temp.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:01am
post #3 of 9

What size pan To serve 50-60 people will depend on the shape you want to use.
A 12x16x2 sheet = 48 servings; OR a 12x4 (two 2" layers) round = (I think) 56; OR a 10"x4" square (two 2" layers = 50 servings) should do it just fineicon_smile.gif.
Figure 15-20 servings from each cake mix used.
As for getting cake out of pan - let it cool about 10 minutes, then put a cake rack or board or such over pan, turn the whole thing over and remove the cake pan. If it has been greased enough it should fall right out icon_smile.gif

liezl8a Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liezl8a Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:09pm
post #4 of 9

thanks for the tips!!! yeah i was using the flour on the pans because the wilton instructions it came with said...don't use spray on (like PAM) use grease and FLOUR. lol..i am still learning...i'm so glad to know that I can go without the flour because its such a mess!! icon_sad.gif

i'll check out the cake sizes too!! i appreciate this very much!!

happy cake-ing!
liezl

ibmoser Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ibmoser Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:37pm
post #5 of 9

I cut parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan exactly in addition to greasing the pan. I like Baker's Joy spray or make the pan release (equal parts flour, oil, and shortening mixed well) that I read about on CC. Haven't had a cake stick to the pan yet. Yet - knock on wood icon_lol.gif .....

snocilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snocilla Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 2:48pm
post #6 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

make the pan release (equal parts flour, oil, and shortening mixed well) that I read about on CC

Exactly what I do, and I have never had a cake stick either.

Peridot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peridot Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:13pm
post #7 of 9

I also use Baker's Joy and have had 100% success - so far.....

I was not aware the you could just grease (Crisco shortening I assume) and not use flour. That is why I use the Baker's Joy - I am not going to mess with that flour thing - ugh!!!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:01pm
post #8 of 9

Make sure you use parchment paper on the bottom too. It's a life saver. Or, rather a cake saver icon_biggrin.gif

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 6:12pm
post #9 of 9

I use Pam for Baking - when I can find it. It's got flour (or flour-like) in the spray. The only problem is that my DH steals it when he makes Saturday morning muffins, so I keep running out of it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%