Frustrated With The Servers

Lounge By maendings Updated 23 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm by TexasSugar

maendings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maendings Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:32pm
post #31 of 38

I had a good idea (?) on my way to Gordons and Michaels this afternoon. I bought a dessert cake stand at Gordons (theirs was a plastic top, mine are glass) and asked my daughter if I could put it on the hostess stand. I also bought my own small dry board where I will write my own specials and put it where people can see it. I also thought I would try a 'dessert club' card; buy 4 desserts, get one free. Also I am going to leaves cards for people to fill out and have a drawing once a month to win one of my desserts, starting next week with a pumpkin (wilton pan) cake. I thought I would reward the customers for spending their money on an extra. I made a dessert tray for the girls and all I can do now is stand back and let whatever happen.
Thanks again and I am passing all of this information on to my son; somehow alot of it sounds like what I have been telling him all along!
They never listen!!
Colleen

Auryn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Auryn Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 7:51pm
post #32 of 38

I don't mean to be rude,
but have you run all these things you are going to do past your son??
It seems like its HIS place.
Now I love my mom and I spend tons of time with her and really value her,
but if it was my pub and she was going around doing stuff and telling the servers what to do without running it by me first, I'd be mighty peeved.

I just want to make sure you don't get into a tiff with your son over dessert.

I like the idea of the card- I would totally go there just for dessert (if its great dessert) if they had something like that

maendings Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 11:58pm
post #33 of 38

I talked to him about it first, some things awhile ago. I think he was just waiting for me to do it. So tonight I had a meeting with him and the servers and explained to them my plan and asked their input. It was fairly positive. The desserts looked nice sitting on the hostess table and I set up a tray for them and told them about the contest and punch card. Paul said he was going to do a lunch card and would add my stuff to it. He did suggest a contest with the girls and offer to make them a free dessert and I'm fine with that. Most of them have kids and are single moms. If he ever totally doesn't want to do something, believe you me, I don't push it with him. He gets a "this is mine and you can't play with it" look.
I'm sure it sounds like I'm overstepping at times, but there is money involved on my part with the restaurant, and they have told me and the servers outright that I am their boss too. I try to be more of a support system for him, but there are times when he needs a mother's kick!
thanks for all of your help.
Colleen

lthiele Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lthiele Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 2:04am
post #34 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by healingforce1

I make desserts that would stand up to an upper class restaurant and he sells them for $3.99. Colleen

Maybe the price is an issue as well. If I see a dessert for $3.99 - I'm thinking a bit of Sara Lee frozen slab cake with a squirt of cream from a can! Put the prices UP!!! It can be a tricky equation and sometimes under pricing is the worst thing you can do! For a piece of home-made delicious cake or pie average over here would be around $6.50 and that's in a cafe! You can keep going up for a restaurant! JMO.

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:06am
post #35 of 38

I would expect to pay no LESS than $7.50 for dessert in a restaurant and would pay up to $15, depending on what it is and portion size.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 3:12am
post #36 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by lthiele

If I see a dessert for $3.99 - I'm thinking a bit of Sara Lee frozen slab cake with a squirt of cream from a can!

I'm the same way. There's a restaurant I know that sells prime rib for something like $5.99 and that includes the potato & veggie. My little mind is thinking, "No freakin' way it's even real meat!" icon_surprised.gif

when things are TOO cheap, the thought is "I wonder what's wrong with it?" icon_confused.gif

maendings Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 12:03pm
post #37 of 38

I have discussed (argued) with him about that. I've told him go ahead and sell your fried ice cream for $3.99 but I know I've paid $6 at a chain and you know it's frozen and in St. Louis at a high end steak house $8 and it was frozen dessert and awful. I couldn't even eat it. So my next mission is to increase pricing for my desserts. I would like a seperate pricing index card to go in the menu and if I have to pay for it I will. I know he should but he's trying hard to keep afloat so it's my business too.
I can't believe all of the positive input I have recieved this past week. What started out as a frustrated moment, has snowballed into a positive things. I appreciated all of you standing up and telling me what I need to do and what my son needs to do. This community is a wonderful thing.

Colleen

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 23 Oct 2009 , 1:25pm
post #38 of 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by healingforce1

So my next mission is to increase pricing for my desserts. I would like a seperate pricing index card to go in the menu and if I have to pay for it I will. I know he should but he's trying hard to keep afloat so it's my business too.

Personally while you are doing all these different actions to promote the esserts I'd go ahead and up the prices. If you do all this promoting then up the prices that is going to throw the regulars. Since it sounds like there wasn't alot of desserts sold now, start this point as if it is a new thing and give it the price tag it truely deserves. I'd be $5 plus (depending on portion size and what it is) for a great homemade dessert. I have a weekness for cheesecake and tiramisu, so those two I'd go higher on with out a second though, if they were very good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%