California Questions...

Business By zoo22 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 5:52am by WykdGud

zoo22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoo22 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:20pm
post #1 of 5

I am in California. I have been doing cakes/cupcakes for family/friends etc. I was contacted by a coffee shop in town that wants me to make cupcakes and some other baked goods for their shop. I am in need of some help. She said I could use her kitchen to bake in. What do I need to do to become "Legal" in the state of Califonia?

thanks in advance!

Jen

4 replies
Amylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amylou Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:18pm
post #2 of 5

I think this depends on if you would actually be working for the coffee shop, or if you would have your own biz and be "renting" from them.

According to this thread, you are no longer able to rent kitchen space from a place and have your own biz, but check with your local health department.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-654598.html

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:55am
post #3 of 5

Are you serious?! That s@cks! I hope it works out for you. California is such a tough state. Just research & good luck! thumbs_up.gif

chicago1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chicago1 Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 3:23am
post #4 of 5

I'm in the East Bay and I just went to city hall in my city for information on the business license. I will be working out of commercial kitchen and since I don't have a storefront all I need to do is provide proof that the kitchen I will be using has been approved as a CK. The person also stated that I should have the Servsafe certification(which I got last year). It does depend on your city so make sure you check it out.

WykdGud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WykdGud Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 5:52am
post #5 of 5

You need to call the health department. Don't just talk to one person, talk to several (and take names)... believe me, it seems that different people understand the rules/regulations differently. You might have to talk to a few people to confirm that you are actually getting the correct information.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%