Additional Vendor At Wedding!!

Business By smab109 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 4:16am by rosiecast

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:15pm
post #1 of 12

I had a wedding this past weekend... and when I went to set up the cake, there was an additional vendor setting up dessert! It was a Cupcake company, but still.... they had a little flier out with their name and info on it describing the cupcake flavors. No one from the bridal party was there and the woman setting up the cupcakes was nice enough (we had to share the same table, me being there was news to her as well).

I have not spoken with the bride yet and probably won't mention anything, it just seemed very odd to me. What would you have done?

11 replies
LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:30pm
post #2 of 12

It's in my contract, no other cake vendor allowed. And it's very specific and very strict. I would have left with the cake, cause thats what my contract says I'll do. It's nothing personal for me, it's a quality control issues. What if someone says, "I got sick from the cake!"

minicuppie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minicuppie Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:39pm
post #3 of 12

IMO it is tacky to put advertising on a wedding cake table. Or any other occasion when my product or service has been paid for. Maybe your BTB is one of those 'zillas that like to give people their big "break" and wrangle free services from naive new business owners....

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 12

Minniecuppie is so right! I did see that. Tacky, tacky, tacky!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #5 of 12

I agree, I would NEVER put out business cards.......although I've had some brides put some up at the bar (they asked for extra cards at the signing of the contract) when I set up the cake I noticed the cards up there on the bar.

On a side note, I too have it in my contract that there will be no other "confections" unless it's been approved by me and must be disclosed at the time of the intial consultation. Failure to do so will result in complete loss of confections and no reimbursment will be given to purchaser. We cannot have our reputation relying on the talents of another baker.

Not ver batum but very similar to that. I had a bride who's fiance wanted his grandmother to make his "groom's cake" it was his favorite cake that she'd made for every one of his birthdays his whole life. The main wedding cake was white cake with cheesecake and raspberry filling....the cake g'ma was making was chocolate with fudge frosting.....I told them that was fine, because there was no way people would mix up the two!

Nobody has ever thought it was a "strange" or "mean" rule once I explain why it's in place!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:52pm
post #6 of 12

I have that same clause in my contract.....and I have them initial it so they KNOW it is there.

KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 12

I"m with you Loucinda, I just recently put a little __________ next to each section and highlighted the first part of each section

IE

________ CANCELLATIONS; If you cancel your order within.......

________ FLOWERS: I will arrange up to 25 stems of flowers at no additional charge..

________ OTHER CAKES: If you are serving other confections, not purchased from Tina's Sugar Shack you must have pre=approval and this must be disclosed.....

and so on........I make them initial EVERYTHING!!! lol

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:54pm
post #8 of 12

I also have a sole provider clause in my contract that must be initialed. If I show up and there's other cake, I take my cake and leave and no refund. However, I do allow other confections - cookies, cheesecake, icecream cakes because I dont' want to do those.

KHalstead Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:07pm
post #9 of 12

I allow other confections as well (I just want them to tell me about them)......some people say........oh........well I didn't realize that cupcakes were considered "other cakes" or I didn't know a sheet cake was included......I thought you meant other "wedding" cakes..........if you give them an inch.......

CoutureCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoutureCake Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 4:55pm
post #10 of 12

I also have the clause...

". Couture Cake is to be the sole provider of cake and/or confections at the event. Failure to comply with this clause will result in a loss of completed cake and/or confections and entire payment at no compensation to the purchaser. In the event another LICENSED, AND approved (see 1a.) bakery is providing a portion of the cake/confections for the event, it shall be disclosed at the time of first deposit before the event. Disclosed licensed retail food handler must also deliver cake/confections to the venue.
a.  Disclosure: __________________________________
b.  Item(s)provided:__________________________________
_________________________________________________________"

The reason is because here it has to do with food sourcing with our food manager certification.

OF course, I also was one that if they wanted Grandma's recipe cake I'm willing to do it providing it meets food safety/handling guidelines.. I also don't use the word "wedding" in the clause because I use the same contract for all cakes.

I also agree, kinda tacky to put the cards on the table, especially when you notice another vendor there... OTOH, give them out freely to the event staff because they do give referrals...

zdebssweetsj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zdebssweetsj Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 5:14pm
post #11 of 12

Good advice I totally agree.

rosiecast Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rosiecast Posted 22 Oct 2009 , 4:16am
post #12 of 12

Great advice. I didn't get it at first, but then when I read Labellaflor's comment about people complaining they got sick with the cake- makes perfect sense to me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%