Questions - My First Tapered Tier Cake

Decorating By grandmom Updated 13 Nov 2012 , 4:44am by 2txmedics

grandmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:36pm
post #1 of 8

I am planning to make a tapered 3-tier cake. I think I want to use 10-8-6 pans. I saw the inspiration cake in the photos recently (forget whose it was, but it was blue, green, yellow, done in BC, and totally awesome!!), and it was made with those pan sizes.

I've never tapered a tier, or carved any cake before, so I have some questions y'all may be able to answer.

1. What is a good total amount to carve away for the taper? Would you carve the same off for each tier, regardless of size? For example, if I reduce the 10" by 2 inches, would I also reduce the 6" by 2 inches?

2. I will have to work on this in stages, as I have a day job (dang it). Can I fill the layers with BC and freeze the tiers ahead?

3. Is it better to carve while still frozen?

4. What kind of knife would you use? A bread knife?

5. Any other words of wisdom?

TIA

7 replies
grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:35pm
post #2 of 8

C'mon ... I know someone out there can help... I've seen photos...!!

(Just giving myself a little bump)

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:45pm
post #3 of 8

Unfortunately I can't answer your question, but would also like to know.

Hopefully we can find someone out there willing to share their knowledge with us. icon_biggrin.gif

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:48pm
post #4 of 8

When I do tapered tiers (which I do a lot) I carve before I fill, it makes it easier and less messy.
Just make sure to cut a little notch down the length of the cake so when you fill and stack them they go back the correct way.
For the tapered look I just eye ball it, and depending on the angle I want I take off about 1-2" inches at the base.
The hardest part for me is to get all the angles on the cakes right so I have to keep checking the other cakes to make sure I don't take off too much and then it throws everything off.
I also use a big long bread knife, and a gentle sawing motion. The knife will do all the work you won't have to apply that much pressure.
I wish I could help more but I just wing it most of the time and it's really hard to explain how I do things when I don't even know myself..lol

P.s. I hope I spelled angles right?

ClancyJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClancyJane Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:00pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks! Yep you spelled it correctly. thumbs_up.gif

grandmom Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:18pm
post #6 of 8

cakemommytx, my inspiration cake is YOUR blue/yellow/green cake!! That is truly the most awesome cake EVER!

Thanks for the tips.

CakeMommyTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMommyTX Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 9:30pm
post #7 of 8

That's awesome, I'm very flattered thumbs_up.gif
Let me know if you need help with anything else.

2txmedics Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2txmedics Posted 13 Nov 2012 , 4:44am
post #8 of 8

Here's a web link with a how to

hope it helps.

http://www.wickedgoodies.net/2012/07/how-to-taper-cake-tiers/

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%