What If Your Client Wants An Fugly Cake?

Business By tiffani_1 Updated 22 Oct 2009 , 4:05am by sumfun1215

tiffani_1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiffani_1 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:08am
post #1 of 35

Like, something equivalent to the mullet of the hair world. Do you do it? Is it all about pleasing the client, or do you refuse to put your name on it if it isnt your style?
I cant go ino too much detail, she may be a lurker.

34 replies
jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:18am
post #2 of 35

I do it. She's the customer and she gets to pick. No one says you have to post it on your website or anything. I've done my share of cakes that I thought were ugly.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:46am
post #3 of 35

without knowing details (and I understand why), I'd say do it. I read too many threads where the decorator is ridiculing the "tacky taste" of the customer when it's just a matter of personal preference more than it is about an ugly cake.

Some people say that about sheet cakes.
Some people say that about cakes sitting on a fountain. (I can't figure this one out. Sit the same cake on a table and it's fine. Sit the cake on a fountain and suddenly THE CAKE is "ugly". icon_confused.gif )
I say it about scrolls and ribbon cakes. Boring. I can do them in my sleep. No talent needed to make them. Not necessarily "ugly" but pretty dang close.

BUt I do them all ... it pays the bills. Which is the purpose and the goal.
--------------------
There was an episode of The Drew Carey show where 2 people were vying for the same job. The 'test' was to dress the too-much-make-up secretary character, Mimi. One applicant tried to "fix" Mimi and dress her in regular clothes. The other dressed Mimi in Mimi-style clothes. She looked hideous. But Drew gave the job to the person who dressed Mimi hideous. Why? Because Mimi looked in the mirror and said, "Oh my! I'm beautiful!"

The winning applicant made THE CUSTOMER happy. Sure she looked horrible. BUt that's not what mattered. What mattered was making THE CUSTOMER happy.

Again ... this statement is made without knowing details. I'm sure there are themes of cakes that many of us wouldn't do, and we are respecting your choice to keep that private. thumbs_up.gif

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:49am
post #4 of 35

Yeah to what Debi said. But when you make it, and it's horrid, come back here and show us and some us will laugh with you. icon_wink.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:53am
post #5 of 35

Oh, and the purple tile cake I delivered last night? Bride told me numerous times she was not putting a topper on. Hates them she said. What does wedding planner hand me when I get there? A porcelain (something heavy) bride holding a key in her hand with a groom sitting next to her looking forlorn. I snapped my pic, and told them not put that thing on there until it was time for pics, cause it was heavy and would topple taking some cake with it. icon_biggrin.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:54am
post #6 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

I do it. She's the customer and she gets to pick. No one says you have to post it on your website or anything. I've done my share of cakes that I thought were ugly.

Me too. Very recently in fact....and a few coming up. Oh well, pays the bills!

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:02am
post #7 of 35

I have had customers want things that I think are tacky and ugly and done them anyway. I just don't promote those pics LOL.

But really, I has someone do an edible image on a sheetcake. It was from the move Back to the Future and had me do the little bubbles and making them say things. The thing was so stupid and made NO sense whatsoever to me, but apparently they liked it, they are return customers.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:04am
post #8 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by LURVELY

Bride told me numerous times she was not putting a topper on. Hates them she said. What does wedding planner hand me when I get there? A porcelain (something heavy)......

One of my cakes this weekend had a surprise topper, too. http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1492271 Thank gawd the groom brought it to me ahead of time! He hands me a heavy heart shaped thing with their names engraved. If it's put on the cake with the writing straight, then I have to push the pointy end of the heart into the cake and it still won't stand up! icon_surprised.gif So I cut a small circle out of a plastic plate, I put 2 dowels in the top tier, place this circle on it, and lay the topper on it's side (with the engraving sideways). Thank gawd #2, they have rose petals to put on the cake, so I can cover the plastic plate base. I think it worked, but this is why I coined the phrase "just because it's made to go on a cake, doesn't mean it's MADE to go on a CAKE!"

If he hadn't brought me that topper in advance, it would have been sitting on the table NEXT to the cake!

Sorry to sidetrack, there!

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:08am
post #9 of 35

Good save Debi!

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:49am
post #10 of 35

Think of it this way: who are you to judge whether what she wants is fugly or not?

LOL, she might think your living room decor is fugly as all get-out, while you think it's worthy of being featured in a interior design magazine. icon_biggrin.gif

If it's just about your opinion on the style, theme, or colors the client has chosen, just do what she wants and maybe the next cake she orders from you will be gorgeous in your opinion. icon_smile.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:51am
post #11 of 35

Good Lord, Jaime...I just looked at your post count vs your join date...this site is like crack to you, isn't it? :lmao:

__Jamie__ Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:02am
post #12 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Good Lord, Jaime...I just looked at your post count vs your join date...this site is like crack to you, isn't it? :lmao:

icon_lol.gif I guess so, huh? icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

sjholderman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sjholderman Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:12am
post #13 of 35

I had this situation recently. The customer brought me a picture of a cake COVERED in really sloppy buttercream flowers that they just loved. They had the picture in their camera for about 3 years, and wanted me to replicate it with a few changes. I just make my best flowers and tried to make it as cute and clean as possible while still being pretty dang busy. It actually turned out pretty cute and they loved it! So the moral is, do it and do it the best you can.

Mensch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mensch Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:59am
post #14 of 35

Most people have really bad taste!

I've done plenty of butt-ugly cakes and I don't care if I hate them..... most times, the customer has 'designed' the thing themselves and they want it like that.

It pays the bills.

soygurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
soygurl Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:34am
post #15 of 35

If I think the bride might just have gotten a little carried away, and probably doesn't have any idea how all her "ideas" will end up looking, I sometimes try to steer her in a more feasible design (you know, the brides that bring in pictures of 6 totally different style cakes and wants to combine them all... icon_rolleyes.gif ).

But if it's just not my taste, or I feel it's "out of style/fashion" or whatever?
Repeat after me: "It's not my wedding. It's not my wedding. It's not my wedding." icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 1:51pm
post #16 of 35

Just do the cake and take the cash. icon_wink.gif I did one not too long ago - I didn't even want a picture of it. The only unfortunate part for me, is I knew quite a few of the people at the wedding icon_cry.gif (at least it tasted good!)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:23pm
post #17 of 35

Do it, but make sure that you have VERY detailed drawings and descriptions of what she wants, so that when she decides that she doesn't like it when she sees it you have proof that you delivered exactly what she ordered!

thecookieladycc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecookieladycc Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:31pm
post #18 of 35

You make that ugly cake... but you make it the best ugly cake ever!

vagostino Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vagostino Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 2:51pm
post #19 of 35

I would do what vostumeczar said, do a detailed drawing (doesn't have to be pretty, just to have a visual idea) and show the bride how it'll look together...if she still wants it, just do it! (just don't put the picture in your portfolio)

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:02pm
post #20 of 35

I do the same--I do it anyhow--but here's the new reality (probably not new to y'all) --my client asked me when I was gonna put the cake in my website--oh my soul! Aghh, would you believe the dog ate my camera?

icon_lol.gif

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:04pm
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by K8memphis-

I do the same--I do it anyhow--but here's the new reality (probably not new to y'all) --my client asked me when I was gonna put the cake in my website--oh my soul! Aghh, would you believe the dog ate my camera?

icon_lol.gif

Maybe that could be the weekend that your camera malfunctions icon_rolleyes.gif

djs328 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
djs328 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:34pm
post #22 of 35
Quote:

icon_lol.gif

OMG, that's hilarious! Ummm...how about, 'I am having trouble uploading pics right now - they keep getting lost!' or 'my computer got a virus and I lost a bunch of files! So sad!' icon_cool.gif
lol!

Did an ugly cake myself for a friend...was a replica of a cake she saw...did it anyhow, to make her happy! She loved it....I file the pic away...far, far away! thumbs_up.gif

geri4292adams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
geri4292adams Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:56pm
post #23 of 35

Hey if my dog can eat a whole beef brisket then finish off 2 1/2 dozen extra chocolate chip cookies, then destroy the living room, I'm sure your dog can eat the camera and survive. LOL

dhccster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dhccster Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:16pm
post #24 of 35
Quote:

icon_lol.gif

LOL! Oh my gosh....... I wouldn't know what to say!!! Too funny!

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 4:21pm
post #25 of 35

Yup, do the cake. Hopefully she'll say in public that its exactly what she wanted! LOL!

I've told my daughters for years, whenever you see an awful colored shirt in the window or someone dressed up and looking horrendous just remember that someone somewhere out there is thinking "this looks GOOOOOOD!" As my g'ma use to say "there's no accountin' for taste".

And, yeah, somehow my camera would auto delete the photos! LOL!

Cat

ps. yup, this place is like crack to me too..out here every day, several times a day! LOL!

HarleyDee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HarleyDee Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 5:42pm
post #26 of 35

Yip, just do it icon_smile.gif It'll get you paid, and it might make her the happiest person in the world. I think lots of us here have done our share of ugly cakes. I have one coming up icon_razz.gif But, it pays the bills.

Now, if it's something obscene or something that you don't feel comfortable doing, that's totally different. But if it's just butt ugly, well then, "Go ugly! Go ugly!" icon_biggrin.gif Then come show us pics icon_biggrin.gif

cakebaker1957 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaker1957 Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:09pm
post #27 of 35

That's what happened on my first wedding cake, its the solid white one with a clear plexiglass square that had there names and date on it , No stand to set it on, Thank goodness i had one day to find something to sit it on, I asked the bride if it had a stand she said No I told her its to heavy and big just to put into the cake and icing, It will fall over, So i found a clear easel to put it on , If this had not worked , it was ready to hot glue golf T's on the bottom and stick it into the cake icon_confused.gif Its in my pics, you can barley see the topper,

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:25pm
post #28 of 35

I would think a good option would be "I forgot to take the cap off the lense, finger got in the way, icing smudge on camera,

So the cake, do it, you don't have to like. I did a fugly cake a few weeks back. the little brother designed the cake. He was so pround and it meant a lot to his sister. He even was excited to see his work on here. Am I proud of the cake? Yes, it looked just like he wanted. Is it a fugly cake? Yes, but the customer (free cake for a friend) got what they wanted. It is all in people skills. If you feel this is a cake she doesn't realize is ugly, the sketch would help. A few tactful pointers on how to make the cake "more personal" for her might help as well.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 6:52pm
post #29 of 35

I don't even take pics of the cakes I really don't like, whether it's because of the design/colors etc or I feel I didn't do a good job. Some I just don't want reminders of. You can make em but doesn't mean you have to publicize them on your website etc. I'd just tell a customer who asks that I don't put all my cakes up on the site. I wouldn't lie, but I'm not going to feel obligated to post it. Once the cake and $ have changed hands it's no longer her business. Actually this wasn't her business in the first place.

FierceConfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FierceConfections Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 7:08pm
post #30 of 35

That's a hard one for me. If a bride brings me a picture of a hideous cake, and requests the exact same design... well, I liken that to someone wanting a display cake from me, but wanting to serve Walmart sheet cakes in the kitchen.

I don't want my skills (be they baking or decorating) misrepresented. Maybe if I was really hurting for business I'd do it, but try to talk her into something more in line with my design aesthetic.

I realize it's her day and all, but it's my reputation on the line. I can't forget that.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%