14In Round, Sunk A Little In The Center?

Decorating By ranbel Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 2:20am by missymayflower

ranbel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ranbel Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 13

I have only done a 14in one other time and it's been over 2yrs.

I used 3 flower nails and baking strips and it still sunk a little in the center. It is impossible to get the center that you get from the smaller cakes? I baked a 10in with no sinking at all. I have also done 12in with no sinking.

I am using a different recipe that calls for a lot of butter, maybe that has contributed to the sinking.

I will still be able to use it, it's not too bad, I'm just curious if anyone can share how they bake their larger cakes...

Thanks,

12 replies
missymayflower Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missymayflower Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:28pm
post #2 of 13

I just baked two 14in cakes last week and they turned out great. I didn't use a nail or heating core, just baking strips. I baked at 325 degrees, and slightly overfilled the pans so the cake rose just over the top when done. Good luck.

ranbel Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:33pm
post #3 of 13

missymayflower:

What recipe are you using? Maybe I need to try it..

And one more thing, the sinking happens after I take it out of the oven, not during baking. It rises perfectly in the over.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 13

could still just need more baking time. if the middle isnt cooker properly, it will collapse a bit once its out too.
xx

missymayflower Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 10:06pm
post #5 of 13

My recipe is simple, I use boxed mix.
To each box I add:
small box of instant pudding (not sugar free)
1 cup of milk
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
up to 1tbsp flavoring or extract with enough water to make 1/4 cup.

The only time I've had cakes sink in the middle after taking them out of the oven is when they aren't completely baked. With a pan that size you really need to do the toothpick test, and it has to be clean. If you are worried about the cake being too dry, you can always brush with simple syrup before icing it.

ranbel Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:59pm
post #6 of 13

Ok thanks. I did the toothpick test and it came out clean. I have just let the second 14in cool and it is perfect....

As for the simple syrup, what do you use?

ranbel Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:42am
post #7 of 13

a other question about simple syrup, do you only brush it on top of the cake after you have layers together? How does it seep thru the cake? I guess it must work or people would not use it.

also, how much do you brush on?

missymayflower Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:17am
post #8 of 13

Simple syrup is equal parts water and sugar, by volume. Just heat together until sugar dissolves. Let it cool before using. You can use a pastry brush to apply the syrup to each layer. You don't need to use very much, just barley moisten the top. Just apply it to the side that will be facing up in the assembled cake. That allows the moisture to seep through the layer resulting in a pleasently moist cake. Another method is to put your prepared syrup into a new, clean spray bottle. It's a little easier to control the amount of syrup you use this way.

Applying a syrup to your cake is also a great way to add extra flavors. Just add a small amount of extract to your syrup. Hope this helps.

-Melissa

ranbel Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 10:46am
post #9 of 13

Thanks Melissa, you have been very helpful. I appreciate all the info.
Have a wonderful day icon_razz.gif

ranbel Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:03am
post #10 of 13

I have another question for you:

Do you put simple syrup on before you level the tops? If so, how long does it need to sit soaking before you level the tops.

Again, thanks for your help.

missymayflower Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:07pm
post #11 of 13

Level your cakes first. But make sure you apply the syrup to the side that will be facing up in the assembled cake. I usually put the cut sides together so I have the smooth bottom of the last layer to decorate. This helps me keep the crumbs out of the frosting. You don't have to let the cake sit after applying the syrup, you can immediately assemble and crumbcoat. Though I would suggest allowing your filled and crumbcoated cake rest and settle for at least a few hours just in case you get filling bulges.

I usually don't use this method anymore. I discovered the technique of wrapping and freezing (just overnight) cake layers while they are still warm. Let them thaw in the wrapping before continuing your process. This results in amazingly moist cake. Good luck.

ranbel Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 12:26am
post #12 of 13

ok thanks. I also, use the bottom of the cake as my top to get a flat surface. So, will the syrup seep thru that since it's not the side that will be torted?

missymayflower Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 2:20am
post #13 of 13

Yes, the syrup has no problem seeping through the bottom (when it is the top) to moisten the whole layer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%