How Long Can A Cake Be Made In Advance?

Decorating By mangotango Updated 21 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm by kakeladi

mangotango Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mangotango Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 7:23pm
post #1 of 11

Hi everyone,
not sure if anyone has done this. but I have to make a 9"cake and 36 cupcakes for this Friday. I was hoping to make the cake covered in fondant on the Wed. Night and then on Thurs. concentrate on the cup cakes. Now my question is " how long in advance can a cake be made and left outside? "
I've never done this before but don't want to pull an all nighter on the Thurs. night. If there is any suggestion it would be greatly appreciated: D
Mango

10 replies
sugarandslice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarandslice Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 8:58pm
post #2 of 11

I think it would depend on what you're using to fill and cover your cake. I use ganache and I know that's completely fine for a few days. I recently did a cake on Thursday for a charity raffle on Saturday night and I know the cake then wasn't eaten until the Tuesday and it was completely fine.

However, if you're using a filling that needs refridgeration then you may have trouble. I don't use shortening-based buttercream but I think that's OK left out too. I'm sure others here, who have more experience with BC, will be able to let you know.

If you're worried about the cake drying out then brush each layer with a simple syrup while you're constructing it.

HTH

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 11

The cake itself will be just fine. No difference than making a wedding cake on Wed or Thrus for a Sat wedding icon_smile.gif
The filling will be the determining factor. Use something that does not need refrigeration - like the sleeved stuff or just fruit jams, etc.

In fact, one could even bake a cake today and freeze it, defrosting it the night before you want to decorate it. Once out of the oven, wrap it well in a layer of plastic wrap, then put into a plastic bag and freeze.

Sweet_Guys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet_Guys Posted 18 Oct 2009 , 11:59pm
post #4 of 11

Ditto...We bake on Wednesdays, refrigerate, and begin the decorating process on Thursdays with fillings or buttercream...Our cakes have been moist...However, you can always use a flavored simple syrup that will complement your flavors.

Paul

CutiePieCakes-Ontario Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CutiePieCakes-Ontario Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 12:18am
post #5 of 11

I agree with what the others have said. Once the cake is covered, no air can get to it and hence, it can't go stale. BC is fine on a cake left out, as is fondant. It's all about the filling. (And if you fondant, DO NOT leave it in an air tight container - ie. Wilton carrier. It needs the air to stay firm, otherwise it WILL sag. Speaking from experience on this one. icon_rolleyes.gif )

And some things should not be refrigerated at all - like RI, since I believe it will wilt/melt when it warms up.

Good luck!

dani-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dani-cakes Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 3:00am
post #6 of 11

And what is the best way to thaw a cake? Leave it wrapped, or no?

JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 19 Oct 2009 , 8:30am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dani-cakes

And what is the best way to thaw a cake? Leave it wrapped, or no?

Here's a classic response by our Forum Matriarch:

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

If you store loaves of bread in your freezer, when you take the loaf out of the freezer to thaw, do you open it and lay all of the slices of bread on the counter? No, you leave it in the wrapper.

Cakes only take minutes to thaw (depending on size, of course). I unwrap mine and start working on them when they are still partially frozen (easier to trim, easier to handle, easier to flip around).

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-648431-.html

HTH

dani-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dani-cakes Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 12:53am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for your response!

PS: I've never frozen bread, either! =D

mangotango Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mangotango Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 1:08am
post #9 of 11

thanks everyone for your tips. I plan on baking my cakes tomorrow and will make the cake on Wed. night. Thank god, you guys told me not to put it into one of those Wilton carriers because I was planning on doing that: D I will post the photos this weekend and let you guys know how it turned out.
You guys rock!
Manni ( aka Mango)

jolie1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jolie1977 Posted 20 Oct 2009 , 3:14pm
post #10 of 11

Such an interesting thread! So if you freeze your cakes iced in buttercream, could you technically have your cakes done as long as a month or so in advance, freeze them, take them out the night before you need to lay your fondant and decorate the cake and still have a fresh tasting cake? Is there any harm in doing this?

I have 3 2-tier cakes to make for the weekend of Nov 7th, including my daughter's BDay cake and I have another day job during the week and my own 3 kids to look after at night, so my time is very limited... if I knew I could do things in advance such as bake and ice my cakes, this would be such a time saver!!! Any tips or advice?

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Oct 2009 , 1:47pm
post #11 of 11

.........technically have your cakes done as long as a month or so in advance, freeze them, take them out the night before you need to lay your fondant and decorate the cake and still have a fresh tasting cake? Is there any harm in doing this?........

Harm?? Absolutely noticon_smile.gif You will have a great, moist, wonderful tasting cake.
Be sure it is wrapped well. I usually wrap in plastic wrap, then into a plastic bag (grocery bag as most food bags are too small). This is safe as the plastic wrap is touching the cake, not the bag.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%